6.0 swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue96

HANO Motorsports
Reaction score
We have a high mile (176k) '96 K1500 that will receive a 6.0 sometime this winter (if everything goes my way) and i have a rookie OBS/NBS part interchangeability question. Specifically the transfer case/auto trans combos that'll work without much drama. I'd like to use a newer 4l60e (or please give your suggestions) and the OEM/96 transfer case. Are there any differences in the early/late 4l60e transmission cases or input/output shaft lengths? I've read thru countless old threads here and over at ls1truck but I never found the answer Im seeking. I do, however, know I can buy a flexplate/adaptor to run the older trans with a gen3/4 engine if need be (thanks to an informative thread by Hogg) but I'd prefer to replace the clattering/slipping stock trans instead of rebuilding it.

Question 2: is it really that hard to wire up a dbw pedal/sensor package??

A friend suggested I run a LQ9 with LQ4 harness/intake to retain the throttle cable setup. That really sounds like a good idea but I'm wondering if the dbw setup wouldn't be cooler to mention while bench racing :hmm:

My apologies for the rookie questions but I'm looking to do this right the first time & enjoy the truck instead of "half-ass" patching it together. Also, it's almost sickening the power vs dollar potential in these LSx engines. Compared to the built 351w stroker swap project in my 95 GT, dollar for dollar, I'm going to come out cheaper with this LQ swap. Like 3500$ cheaper XD It's enough to make me pull hair out! No LSx in the mustang though, not much on hybrids. Ok, enough Chevy talk for one day LOL...

Any help, suggestions or opinions are welcomed and encouraged!!

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd want to put a 4L60E behind the 6.0 unless it was built. You'd be better off using a 4L80E.

jantzer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the newer 4l60 mates up to the transfer case with the same spline count. I know the 4l80 has a different spline count and I had to change the input gear on the transer case.

jantzer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also pay attention on the 6.0L. The earlier 99-00's had a longer crank than the 01+'s and they mate right up to the older tranny's I believe, while the newer stuff doesn't.