6.0 swap questions I can't find answers to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeatUp98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill try to keep it short as I can't seem to find definitive answers to some of this stuff.

Doing an 05-07 6.0l swap out of a truck I'll need the gas pedal and pcm in addition to wiring harness and motor? Could I just run one computer of it's an 0411?

Can the hydroboost out of an 05-07 2500hd swap into these trucks in the event I a get a whole parts truck? Or is everyone swapping to hydroboost out of an obs 1 ton?

Can I just use the transfer case out of an 05-07 truck I get the motor and trans from or do I have to get mine rebuilt to accept the 4l80e?

Are there any driveshafts that will make up for the length difference of the new drivetrain? Would an obs with same cab configuration and a 4l80e as my 98 have driveshafts that will work?

will E-fans off an 05+ 1/2 ton fit and be able to just run off the stock pcm? I'll be running the biggest stock size radiator that came in an obs I believe it's a 34".

When I get to the wiring harness stage will it be easier to use the 5.7l or the 6.0l harness as my main one to add to?

Are there any special things I should look out for when doing this swap? I'll have experienced help doing it but this will be my first big project as I'm doing a frame off restoration on this 98. I'm in no hurry to get done as this is really just to give myself a hobby and to push myself mentally. Just want to avoid those expensive learning curves if I can.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never done it but I know I can answer most your questions.
The 0411 is able to run everything. You can run any 96 up gmt400 with some work.
Pedal you'll need one it's been said you can use a 95 up 6.5 pedal as it is electronic and bolt in.
Hydroboost has been covered, one or 2 bolt holes don't line up with the fire wall and the push rod to the pedal is shorter. I've seen several people make them work though.
Transfer case depends on what's there and what the donor is. If they are both manual shift tcase you can probably use the donor. I don't know the electronic ones well enough to comment.
Drive shafts, right config might but the ujoint will take some checking.

Fans people have done it. Yes the 0411 will run them. There is a couple threads on it.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Doing an 05-07 6.0l swap out of a truck I'll need the gas pedal and pcm in addition to wiring harness and motor? Could I just run one computer of it's an 0411?

you can use the pedal and such since its dbw or you can swap to cable driven, which would be far easier. you would run just the 411 computer, it can control everything

Can the hydroboost out of an 05-07 2500hd swap into these trucks in the event I a get a whole parts truck? Or is everyone swapping to hydroboost out of an obs 1 ton?

sure mod and drill as necesary, is it direct swap? no

Can I just use the transfer case out of an 05-07 truck I get the motor and trans from or do I have to get mine rebuilt to accept the 4l80e?

you can run the 05-07 case if you want our you can swap inputs on your current one, depends on manual vs electric shift or np243/246 and what you like overall.

Are there any driveshafts that will make up for the length difference of the new drivetrain? Would an obs with same cab configuration and a 4l80e as my 98 have driveshafts that will work?

get a new one made, dont be a cheapo, do the swap properly and get a new one for your configuration because most stock driveshafts arent toleranced worth ****, dont skip out here.

will E-fans off an 05+ 1/2 ton fit and be able to just run off the stock pcm? I'll be running the biggest stock size radiator that came in an obs I believe it's a 34".

stock 411 pcm yes, the black box even has the capability but not worth modding it so

When I get to the wiring harness stage will it be easier to use the 5.7l or the 6.0l harness as my main one to add to?

doesnt matter, as stated id be looking at DBC not DBW, so in those regards id just sang an earlier harness or go standalone and eliminate any hassle.

its an expensive task regardless, especially doing a ground up. dont skip out research research research.

BeatUp98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. So I should look into a drive by cable setup, 411 pcm, obs hydroboost, get driveshafts made, probably will use the donor transfer case as I have the 3 button electric now and do believe the newer hd ones are 3 button as well. Good to run stock style electric fans. About the harness though. If I go spend $800+ on a harness to be made would someplace be able to make it completely drop in? All I have to do is maybe shorten some wires and tidy it up?

Another question I have is I remember reading somewhere someone was talking about putting the battery on the driver side and running the nbs air intake. I never could find any info on it though. Does anyone have any or a source?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
why dont you make your own harness and not spend 800+ dollars

i wouldnt both moving a battery just for an intake, basically grab whatever intake you find and run it in a manner you desire, best bet is grab the tb coupler from an nbs truck and get some tubign and just run it to the factory air box or similar.

BeatUp98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the truck I'm doing this on is "well used" to say the least. Battery cables are all going to be replaced anyways so changing from one battery tray to another wouldn't be a big deal.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i understand nontheless theres better options that what your suggesting, id be maing my won location plus its the last and easiest part of the entire thing.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
Ill try to keep it short as I can't seem to find definitive answers to some of this stuff.

Are there any special things I should look out for when doing this swap? I'll have experienced help doing it but this will be my first big project as I'm doing a frame off restoration on this 98. I'm in no hurry to get done as this is really just to give myself a hobby and to push myself mentally. Just want to avoid those expensive learning curves if I can.

I'm currently in mid progress of this same swap. I currently already have the 2004 NV4500 mw3 tranny with gearvendors over/under drive tranny behind it with a 2500ld 14 bolt 9.5 3.73:1 with Detroit locker and G2 diff cover bolted to my stock 1993 5.7. I have the computer picked out and LQ4 already on the stand waiting for the 4 in crank to make it a 6.6L 402 ci stroker. I have been researching this now for 8 years and have many books on this subject. Maybe I can share you my info and my shopping list of needs and wants. Also several books on LS swaps and one just on programing including stand alone setups.

What truck is it going into? I'm using the flex-a-lite 280 fits this like a glove and can be operated by the donor wiring harness. If your getting a computer from a salvage yard you need to know if you plan on used your trucks pedal and cruse or you want to go all electronic. there is two different computers. one with IAC and one without. If you plan on using your trucks pedal then you want the one with IAC. its a little chip on the opposite side of the pins and to the left of the circuit board. Blue/green connector on the computer and harness is the one without IAC and the blue/red connectors are with IAC. if you go all electronic your cruse switch will still work. the electronic pedal and the Throttle Actuator Computer (TAC) controls the cruse control and the pedal and sends it to the PCM. If you want the OBD2 port then you would add the body control computer (BCC). It controls lights and monitors the engine and displays it on the Driver Information Center (DIC).

Let me know if I can be of help with this. there is another guy doing more to there 5.3L swap and I gave him tons of info to think about on building and swapping vs just a swap.

here is the link I you wish to read it. http://www.gmt400.com/threads/5-3-build-for-95-1-2-ton-swap.36890/page-2#post-943219

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
What books do you have? Sounds like I need to get them as well

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I can always give you the answers to your questions so you don't have to buy unless you want them for your collection to read.