6.0 in my 98 chevy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Laydout98

Reaction score
Ok heres the deal I have a 98 chevy single cab SWB with a 4.3 and Im wanting to upgrade. I have found a complete 6.0 with a tranny for kinda cheap and Im thinking about buying it. What I was wondering was where to get a wiring harness I know of a couple of places like Nelsonperformance and Street-n-Performance but Im sure there is more. What Im really needing is just someone to point me in the right direction of completing this swap. Like what radiator im going to need,what fuel pump, and little stuff like that. Any help at all would be appreciated and if anyone has done this swap on here please post picture.
Thanks

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the exact swap I did, if you read my thread most of your questions will be answered.

The only other guys I found that make the right harness are Current Performance and Painless Wiring.

You can use your stock fuel pump and radiator.

Let us know how it goes! It is very simple to do this.

Moved thread to the LSX swap section.

SSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can get a speedometer for teh engine and wire it up yourself

Laydout98

Reaction score
Well I didnt end up getting the 6.0. I found a guy around here in my town that has a 6.0 an two 5.3s one is a 01 an the other is a 03 and the 6.0 is out of a 04 SS all of them are all pretty low miles. My question is which one do you think I should go with? I want my truck to have some pretty good power. What proformance mods are good to do and still be a dependable daily driver? also will my 4l60e in my 98 work with the 5.3 or 6.0?

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get the 6.0 for sure! You can have a huge supercharger and a cam etc and it will still be a good daily driver these motors are very dependable. Your 4l60 will work, get a nice torque converter and they will have it adapt for you. I suggest Yank.

Laydout98

Reaction score
Well I dont want that much power lol. What about just headers,cam,and maybe a programer or something? Would it run pretty good? Also what about the electronic throttle and stuff like that on the 03 and up motors? You said I can use my radiatior,fuel pump and stuff like that right?

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Headers and cam are fine just get the right cam, you don't need to go too big with it you will actually lose power.

If you get headers or a cam you will need a custom tune, I'm not sure where you are but we do custom tunes on our dyno in Mass.

If you go with an electric throttle then you will need the matching pedal assembly, DBW motors are an exact bolt up. All your stock stuff will work.

iamkeniff

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nelson Performance custom harness is 675.00

i did a 5.3/60 w a cam/LTs/custom exhaust/3000 stall/billet servos/custom tune.

get a 5.7 radiator and electric fans for that truck!!! stay away from the 99+ radiators its a PITA!

6.0 with a 220/226 .575.575 113+4 or a 112+2 would be sweet.
your 60e wont last if you beat on it but a DD that your race every now and again you could have it for a year or so depending mileage/maintence on it.

i did the swap myself so if you have any questions man please pm me ill answer asap. i enjoying helping out.

FYI you DO NOT need to buy a new speedo/water gauge/Volt gauge/fuel gauge. keep all your old sensors/wiring to them and there ya go.
fyi the FP harness is short on the fuel tank, so i you drop it vs pull the bed id advise extend the wiring harness to the frame rails. its a million times easier to work with imo.

i upgraded to a SS fuel line..yeah expensive.

lemme know any questions you have.

get some pics up