6.0/4l80e into 97 k1500 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
the a/c system had a leaky o-ring on the pressure sensor behind the compressor, but now we are good to go with the 99 OE compressor

I liked how you removed the switch....

He thought the system was completely drained... It still had a few pounds of freon and plenty of uv dye in it when Colt popped the snap ring off with his face about 6" away from the compressor....... It was really funny with the uv light... He didn't really think it was at the time since freon/dye tastes TERRIBLE.

Last edited:

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Haha, I was just gonna let that one hang out there for a while... LOL...

fouledout443

Reaction score
What is the status on the truck? Did you get it finished completely? I am looking into doing a 5.3 swap into my 96 k1500, Thanks for any help!

colthard

Reaction score
What is the status on the truck? Did you get it finished completely? I am looking into doing a 5.3 swap into my 96 k1500, Thanks for any help!

It's done and running strong. I'm open to any and all questions you got!

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
did you ever make a thread about the swap? how do you like the 6.0?

colthard

Reaction score
did you ever make a thread about the swap? how do you like the 6.0?

Never made a thread for it, but as mentioned earlier in the thread. We ended up with a 5.3 and 4l60e due to budget constraints. That being said, in hindsight, if we were to do it again, it would be a 6.0 and 4l80

fouledout443

Reaction score
It's done and running strong. I'm open to any and all questions you got!

Thanks man, I noticed that you mentioned the goal was to have only one pcm instead of allowing the factory computer to control some things, did you get this completed and functioning fully? I would like to do the same thing because I have already done a 411 pcm swap on my truck, so if I do it the way most people do I will have two 'newer' computers in my truck lol

Thanks for the help!

colthard

Reaction score
Thanks man, I noticed that you mentioned the goal was to have only one pcm instead of allowing the factory computer to control some things, did you get this completed and functioning fully? I would like to do the same thing because I have already done a 411 pcm swap on my truck, so if I do it the way most people do I will have two 'newer' computers in my truck lol

Thanks for the help!

I'm so sorry man I just now saw your post. Factory ECU was of no use with the swap in this application. The main engine/ECU harness that would typically attach to the new model fuse box has all your needed sensor wires to tie to your truck/cluster. We used an aftermarket fuse block for the switched power circuits that are in the new harness. (we had 7 i believe, and the fuse block was on a 30 amp ignition relay we added) Other than that you just need to make sure to tie all your serial data wires together so the ECU and abs module can be accessed from the OBDII port. The wiring was significantly more simple than we originally thought it would be. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an older thread but I have a few questions:

Were you happy with the power it put down compared to the old motor?

Would you recommend finding a plug and play wiring harness instead of trying to mod the one that comes with the new motor?

And price wise how much did this build cost you if you can remember?

thanks.