5.7 vs 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raymond mckinney

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock vs stock both my trucks are about equal in towing. But as soon as you do little bolt-ons to the 5.3L the performance jumps leaps over bolt-ons with the 5.7 L31 they just react to every little mod, making it worth the work for the bolt-ons and the money.

NOVAkon

Reaction score
how do the 6.0s work in our trucks, like whats involved in putting one in, i know of course tuning and all that, but do you have to get a pcm from the truck it came from or is there a way to make it work with the existing one, i would loooove to put a 6.0 in my truck, my stepdads trailblazer ss with the ls2 6.0 hauled ass, it was unbelievable how a vehicle that heavy could go so fast, that and a built 4l80e and you could have a serious tow rig and a serious sleeper from a stop light haha

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My 97 K1500 5.7L 3.73 gears and 285/75/16's has trouble hauling an empty 16ft utility trailer. I run 70mph down the interstate in 3rd gear and it is a freaking dog. Going up a hill is like hitting a wall.

Wow, my '95 with 198k hauling a 16" with a jeep loaded did absolutely fine in 4th on highway hills, it actually had no problems at all accelerating from 55-70 in some areas....sounds like you have a major problem somewhere. Hope you find what's wrong.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how do the 6.0s work in our trucks, like whats involved in putting one in, i know of course tuning and all that, but do you have to get a pcm from the truck it came from or is there a way to make it work with the existing one, i would loooove to put a 6.0 in my truck, my stepdads trailblazer ss with the ls2 6.0 hauled ass, it was unbelievable how a vehicle that heavy could go so fast, that and a built 4l80e and you could have a serious tow rig and a serious sleeper from a stop light haha
It's not a simple direct swap but lots of people have put a Gen IV engine in our trucks, including several members on this forum. If you go to the engine performance and maintenance section there is a section LSX swaps where there are a couple of threads about swapping a 5.3 or 6.0 (since it's the same process) in our trucks.

Have you heard of the 411 PCM swap? That's probably the route that I will go if/when I do the swap. Our truck engines can be controlled by the 411 PCM and so can the gen IV engines. That way you can swap to a 411, learn how to tune and stuff and then when you do the swap you only have to do some modifications to the wiring harness and re-tune. Makes it so that you can get some of the work out of the way before actually taking the truck off the road and gives you some practice tuning.
You can also do it by swapping in the computer from the new truck but it can't control everything in our trucks itself so you have to keep the old black box for controlling a couple of things (ABS comes to mind). It seems like more of a hack job way to do it and I'd think that it would make troubleshooting an error code or issue more difficult.

built 4l80e and you could have a serious tow rig and a serious sleeper from a stop light haha
That's exactly what I want... Something that is capable of towing a good load fairly easily and a sweet sleeper...:evillol:

felon637

Reaction score
How many miles do you have? Are you using lots of oil?

Just over 200k miles on it and it might use a half quart of oil between oil changes.

Wow, my '95 with 198k hauling a 16" with a jeep loaded did absolutely fine in 4th on highway hills, it actually had no problems at all accelerating from 55-70 in some areas....sounds like you have a major problem somewhere. Hope you find what's wrong.

I think I just found what's wrong with it http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...r-new-pump-installed.html?highlight=fuel+pump

When I put a gauge on my truck the numbers were almost identical to his "before numbers" BUT still within factory specifications. I already did voltage drops on the fuel pump harness to rule out the connector. Looks like the bed is coming off tomorrow.

felon637

Reaction score
Ah good deal, yeah it needs all the fuel it can get when under any load.

I had put a "Walbro equivalent" fuel pump from ebay in about 6 months ago for a holding valve problem which fixed that but still ran like a turd. Well yesterday I put a Delphi unit in and man what a difference. I think I can pull a trailer now. LOL.

It does have a misfire now under load at higher speed and rpm that I didn't notice before I guess because I couldn't put it in that condition with a weak fuel pump. Dizzy gear inspection next.
Thanks for the help.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Eh, they'll both pull what they were RATED FOR just fine. LS engines were designed to operate most efficiently in a different rev range than the old GenII engines. Just because they need to rev to make peak torque, does not make them inferior to older engines that made peak torque at extremely low revs. I hear that argument a ton. It's a wildly inaccurate myth.

That being said, considering all else (transmission/axle) equal I've had better experiences pulling my car hauler or the family boat with the GenII 5.7L in my rcsb than I've had with an equally equipped 5.3L vehicle. Typically most of my driving (and by default towing) is between central Kentucky and coastal South Carolina, with wildly varying terrain. Anything from 8% grades along I26 and I75 to rolling, two-lane highways more fit for cattle than vehicles. The gearing in a 4L60 seems more suited to the torque curve of the 5.7L, especially when locked in 3rd gear. At 65mph up long mountain grades for example, I can maintain speed and keep the converter locked while in 3rd gear. The 5.3L on the same road would take much more throttle and 2nd gear to maintain speed. Small difference but it's somewhat noticeable. Fuel economy is roughly equal when towing, but my 5.7L will win hands down running with no load. Mainly due to the native lean cruise tables being used in the PCM programming, whereas they're hacked and patched in the LS PCM, so it's not as efficient a system.

scarybowtie

Reaction score
My 95 was a turd towing.(granted it was not a vortec) after swapping in The 6.0 I could not be happier in any way. I loaded a 00 extended cab dodge half ton on our 20' car hauler and towed 75 mph down the highway in overdrive! With no downshifting. It's worlds difference