5.7 vs 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rico47635

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good deal. Thanks for the information. I knew that the old 366 was known more for torque than HP. I was thinking maybe Chevy had modified it a bit to fit in their pickups for people who do a lot of towing. So the 6.0 is more for runnin like a ***** ape than hookin on to a house and draggin it down the road. I just wonder (I think about stuff like this all the time) how hard it would be to put one of them 6.0s in a mid 80s shortbed.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
In my opinion these LS motors are producing formidable amounts of torque also. Until the LS family came around our go to motor in airboats was a 570lb Lycoming 0540 300hp aircraft motor, these monsters made 750ft. lbs. at 2700 rpms, these are now being replaced with 450lb LS's without old school guys set in there ways batting an eye, to pull 520ft/lbs and 550hp is nothing. Putting one in a square body shouldn't be to much of a project especially compared to our trucks, there's a few current build threads on GMFS with the same setup.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In my opinion these LS motors are producing formidable amounts of torque also. Until the LS family came around our go to motor in airboats was a 570lb Lycoming 0540 300hp aircraft motor, these monsters made 750ft. lbs. at 2700 rpms, these are now being replaced with 450lb LS's without old school guys set in there ways batting an eye, to pull 520ft/lbs and 550hp is nothing. Putting one in a square body shouldn't be to much of a project especially compared to our trucks, there's a few current build threads on GMFS with the same setup.

Word!

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wonder (I think about stuff like this all the time) how hard it would be to put one of them 6.0s in a mid 80s shortbed.

I'll let you know in a month or two ;). Got an LQ4 going into an '85, directly.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I asked around about this a little while ago (before i found this forum), mainly about the 6L LS2 engines (out of an 05-06 vette in peticular). I know its not the easiest swap. are the 6.0's in the newer trucks an easier swap? thanks.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will say that I actually like the vortec better for towing stock vs. stock. It has better low-end power that's more usable. I've towed 10K lbs. a lot with a 6.0L and it takes 4-5K rpm to pull it over any sort of hill. Downshift to 2nd and hold it above 5K rpms at 70mph and it does fine, but it barely pulls 3rd at 3K on a slight slope.

That being said, if you get a cam and re-program either a 5.3 or 6.0 to move the torque down to 2-3K rpms they're an absolute blast to drive. I only have the LQ4 in my denali and stock it picks up and passes well, but about 4K rpms you can feel a surge of power come on with not a whole lot below that.

jdoggystyle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, the 6.0L LS series motor and and the 366 big block are worlds apart. The 6.0L (LQ4, LQ9, LS2, et al.) is based on the same architecture as the LS1 that debuted in the Corvette in 96, while the 366 shares its roots with the original 396 that came out with the 65 Corvette. The 366 was a medium to heavy duty truck motor with a small bore and long stroke for low end torque, while the 6.0L motors are larger bore and relatively short stroke, made for torque and horsepower. The 366 is a boatanchor, the 6.0L can be a screamer with minor mods.
which 6.0 would be a direct swap from a 5.7 vortec in a 98 k1500

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Stock engine I would say the 5.7. I have driven a lot of different combinations, but as far as stock I think the Vortec 5.7 is the best. It may suck in the high end, but it does great for what it was designed for, the low end.

On the other end, a 6.0 with a different cam can be an awesome towing vehicle with some high-end power as well. The only problem is the price factor. 350's are a dime a dozen.