4x4 Front end problems - OBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

code.mafia

Reaction score
4x4 Front end problems - OBS

'92 Yukon 2D 4x4. 6" Pro-Comp lift, 35's, 4.10's front and rear.

Ok the kids were out of school (for the last 10 days because of 2 blizzards here in OK). I took off work yesterday to do some late season deer scouting for next year and took them with me. We went as far into the public hunting lands I was looking at as you could go, the 4WD did excellent. Snow was 15" deep consistently with drifts over 2 feet, hilltops (900ft) to valleys (600ft). No one else had been in the place so I blazed the only trail. We spent almost a full day in there.

On the way our, 50yds from the exit (and dry pavement) I broke the forward end off of my rear driveshaft. I pulled it and limped it 50 miles home with just the front axle.

A few days ago, during this snow storm I noticed the front end acting really weird. I would be driving straight and it would just suddenly veer to the left or right on seemingly flat surfaces. Maybe a powdery snow cover, but flat, not rutted. I was thinking maybe a bad stabilizer? Maybe the brutal cold had done it in. It seemed fine the day before or definitely not bad enough to notice. Now I could hardly keep it in my lane.

Then yesterday on the way limping home, from a complete stop, it seemed like one or both wheels were turned too far in or out, the tires would squall up to about 50mph. Also at slow speeds it would dart suddenly to the left or right, then I'd try to correct and it would dart the other direction so I'd see-saw the steering wheel as I sped up (which was almost frightening) then it would kind of smooth out. Having to turn left or right at a stop sign was even worse, the front tires were almost uncontrollable, even after I straightened out. I could hear at least the drivers front tire squalling until it got fast enough that it kind of turned into normal knobby off-road tire noise. I suspect both were squalling.

I have had some play/slop in the steering wheel and have just about gotten used to driving it like that (play to fix that in the spring). But this was much worse than before and seemed to happen over night.

Does this sound like a front stabilizer gone bad or something else?

Last edited by a moderator:

code.mafia

Reaction score
After I posted this I could see that the pass front wheel was c o c ked inward while the drivers side was straight. Jacked it up and looked under and have a bent inner tie rod. I am not noticing any other real play in the front end other than that same side probably needs a wheel bearing. Has a little wiggle when I lift it up/down side/side, but the ball joints and tie rod ends aren't wiggling when I do this so probably just a wheel bearing?

How do I check the steering components like pitman arm, idler arm, etc.?

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
without the truck running, turn the wheel slightly (enough to steer through the play but only turning the tires slightly). watch the steering components for excessive play. you'll to have someone steer or watch the linkage.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I jack one side of the truck up push/pull on the tire and you can see the play in the idle and pitman arms. Best with 2 people, one to move tire and other to look for play underneth. I like to replace both sides at the same time to keep everything the same, granted sometimes the bank account just doesnt let it happen, especially with wheel bearings being $$$$.

code.mafia

Reaction score
Pitman arm was bad. Replaced it (FUN!) along with inner, outer and tie rod sleeve. Hope to pickup the new driveshaft tonight.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Pitman arm was bad. Replaced it (FUN!) along with inner, outer and tie rod sleeve. Hope to pickup the new driveshaft tonight.

I had the same problem with my truck, it was doing that veering left & right deal, I thought it was just windy out, I was on a highway going 70 mph, I looked at the trees and they weren't even moving, so it wasn't wind. Turned out to be a bad pitman arm. Now I can literally let go of the wheel, put the cruise on and kick back :)