4wd disengage + driveshaft issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

William Rekow

Reaction score
For some reason my 4wd doesn't disengage properly. I have the mechanical transfer case, and an automatic transmission. That makes it difficult to shift the transfer case back in after shifting it to neutral.
It wouldn't be a problem, but the front driveshaft vibrates. I replaced one of the u-joints, and it seems there's no way to keep the cups from battering out of position. Most joints that are retained by bolt on loops have a tab in the yoke casting to position them evenly and keep them from working out. Apparently not the case with the GMT400. What does a guy do to make them stay? I've tried torquing the crap out of them, but apparently that is not adequate.

klittle1417

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The caps should have some sort of clip like a C clip to retain them.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

William Rekow

Reaction score
If you're talking about a snap ring, those are only installed in full loops, not two piece yokes. Without the yoke being a full circle, you can't install a snap ring.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Front joints have a C-Clip on the Part that is retained in the Front Pinion and Front Output shaft. That said my truck does the same thing coming out of 4 hi, the front shaft stays engaged until I come to a complete stop, sometimes it takes multiple stops.

William Rekow

Reaction score
Here's a picture of the yoke. By all means, tell me where you intend me to install anything other than a cap and a strap.

You must be registered for see images attach

klittle1417

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cap itself should have a have snap ring on it. That way when you put it in the yoke and secure it with the strap the snap ring keeps it from being forced outward as it rotates.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's supposed to have 2 large c-clips on the inside of the straps to keep the non-pressed caps from sliding out.