4L80E hard 1st shift after electronic swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently swapped out the harness and solenoids (solenoid kit) on my 4L80E.

After swapping it out it shifted terribly hard in all gears, but as I had checked the fluid level in the dark, I later found out the fluid level was way too high.

After removing excess fluid and sitting at the correct level, I took it for a run a few times and it ran like a dream, shifting perfectly in all gears.

Today I drove it out the driveway and it began holding 1st for a really long time and then a firm shunt into second. All other gears seems perfect and otherwise runs fine. I'lm not seeing any codes.

I've done a bit of a search on various forums but not quite the same problems occurring as mine. I'm not seing any CEL but I'll scan it anyway. Has anyone had a similar issue after swapping out their solenoids and is there some learn procedure I'm missing?

Cheers.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems I might have my own answer, and something a little different...

The boost actuator I had temporarily affixed came loose and allowed the boost to release from idle. This wasn't too apparent apart from a little less whistle and lower boost levels on the gauge.

The result was harsh shifting into second - but It's too hot to touch and change yet. If that's not going to fix it then i'm back to square one. I had heard of this before but seemed less likely originally.

Anyway, if you have a similar issue, rather than dropping the pan over and over, you could try this one.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And NO, not fixed. Back at square one. I'll drop the pan and swap back in the old stuff. At least I know it worked.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This keeps getting worse... Now the EPC solenoid broke off inside the valve body!!! I've removed the valve body and picked up all the ball bearings and springs etc but have to work out where it all goes now. It's off to a trans shop for me to get this solenoid tip out. The last one slid out easy, this new one was in there one day and snapped off when i tried to pry it out.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tried to get a good photo after hours of trying to get the solenoid tip out, finally drilled it to get it out but ate away at the back a little where the tip of the drill went in a few millimetres.

Anyone know if this will cause any major issues?
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach