4L60E Valve Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did a little reading on 4L60E tranny issues related to hard 1st-2nd gear shifts and light shift slipping issues and found a few sellers with good reputations selling rebuilt valve bodies but I have a few questions.

Has anyone here done the swap ?
How hard is to to replace the valve body in that tranny ?
Is it just a matter of draining the fluid, dropping the tranny pan and removing the valve body ?
Are any speciality tools needed ?

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have heard of there being a line pressure adjustment that will make it shift very hard. idk if this is true info but an idea at the least.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even though I don't have any history on the tranny in my truck I'm pretty sure it's not the original because it's completely painted GM Orange including the tranny pan plus the dust sheild was missing when I bought the truck a few years ago. The truck doesn't throw any CEL codes but the 1st-2nd gear shift can be hard enough to chirp the rear wheels if I leave hard enough from a full stop. 2nd-3rd-4th (overdrive) shifts are nice and smooth. The tranny fluid is cherry red and there is no ordor of it being burned. I installed a new TCS a few months back and it did smooth out the 1st-2nd shift a tadd but it's still not shifting as smooth as I think it should.

I guess I'll have to ask a buddy about doing that worn valve body deal in my 4L60 because that sounds like the same issue I'm having.