4L60E Transmission Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schimpfy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey, all. My transmission finally bit it last night: lost 2nd, 4th and reverse (I heard the sun shell give out o_O). Now I'm looking at a rebuild. I've never done this before, but I am mechanically inclined so while it will take a bit longer I'm confident I can manage to get my truck back up and running. With that said, I'm looking at what parts I'll need. So far this is my list:

Hughes Rebuild Kit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hup-hp3789
Sonnax Sun Shell https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sox-77749-02k

Aside from fluid is there anything else I may need? I'll also be replacing the torque converter and flexplate (some teeth are gone, so why not?) The kit looks pretty complete, but like I said - I've never done this before.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would add a Pressure Control Solenoid, 2- shift solenoids, Vette Servo, 3/4 Molded Apply Piston, and maybe an Input Sprag. It wouldn't be that more expensive to hit those problem areas now rather than later. Oh I just saw it is a 99, For sure put something for the TCC regulator valve. They are the devil. Several companies make a valve for that.

Schimpfy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I'm taking a look at the site from your sig. Looks like some really reasonable prices and pretty complete kits. Could you give me some details on shipping times? I was looking at the stock rebuild kit and was curious as to how well it holds up. I've got no real need for high performance, but I'd like something that holds up to a decent amount of offroading and towing on a lifted truck. Beyond the rebuild kit I'm also looking at changing over to an S-10 torque converter and was curious if there was a comparable one the Rhino site (I may have missed what I'm actually looking for).

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just wanted to throw in a good word for @rhino of rhinotransmissionparts.com. He definitely knows his stuff. He recommended and sold me some 4L60E parts for a rebuild a while back and that transmission is a BEAST. He supplied the parts way cheaper than I could find them anywhere else as well.

Schimpfy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After ordering a rebuild kit from @rhino I managed to finally get the transmission rebuilt. Needless to say, it was definitely an experience although it was nowhere near as bad as I expected it to be. I'd definitely like to give a shoutout to Ryan and rhinotransmissionpars.com for the great support (even though Ryan's been hard to get a hold of lately ;) )

Outside of what was in the rebuild kit I ended up needing new rear planetary, ring and sun gears since multiple teeth were missing/damaged and bearings were shot. I also needed a new separator plate since one of the check balls was hammered almost completely through. Everything went back together easily enough and it seems to be running well. However, today a new problem cropped up. I got a P1870 and it seems as though the transmission's puking a bit of fluid. I think it's from the vent tube, but I'll look at it more after class. Any ideas what might be causing it? The shifts feel firm and not hard and the fluid level is still close to where it should be.

Something else I've got a question about is my torque converter. I purchased a Hughes GM22TOW from Summit since that's what the guy told me was for my truck. Stupidly, I didn't really follow up until after the install when I found that there's no lockup with this TC. I should have gotten the GM22LTOW if I wanted to stick with Hughes. Anyway, are the any detrimental side effects, outside of lower mileage and heat buildup, from not having a TC with lock up? I've tried to research, but I haven't seen anything aside from switching from non-lock up to lock up.

Last edited:

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe the non lock up convertor would cause the 1870, and the heat could cause the vent to leak a little...

Schimpfy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
http://transmissionbench.com/4L60Evideos.html

Scroll down and click on each video for detailed information

What video there are you referring to? I used a lot of them to verify I was doing everything correctly and I didn't see what I asked about in the videos, hence my question here.

So, outside of the valve can a P1870 be caused by using a non-lockup torque converter in a place where a lockup one was used previously.

Concerning the leak I'm leaning toward the transfer case being overfilled since I filled it with the TC out of the truck and couldn't properly judge it. Plus, the leak seems to be almost non-existent now and the transmission dipstick is still showing full.