4l60e to 4l80e swap adapter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris253

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So get this... Picknpull price for a transmission is $99 with a 30 dollar core. Transfer case is $120 with a $15 core. Looks like this can be done cheaper than I expected.

Now, which years will work? Since I'm getting it tuned for the 0411 computer, does it matter? I guess I should research the differences

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So get this... Picknpull price for a transmission is $99 with a 30 dollar core. Transfer case is $120 with a $15 core. Looks like this can be done cheaper than I expected.

Now, which years will work? Since I'm getting it tuned for the 0411 computer, does it matter? I guess I should research the differences

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/everything-ls/4l80e-info

I went over this a little bit in my thread I linked you to earlier. If you have a '97 or later truck, I'd stick to '97+ 80Es due to cooler line port locations and other odds and ends. Any of them will technically bolt up, though.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

And they're even less if you go on a half holiday sale like this weekend was.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Chris253

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/everything-ls/4l80e-info

I went over this a little bit in my thread I linked you to earlier. If you have a '97 or later truck, I'd stick to '97+ 80Es due to cooler line port locations and other odds and ends. Any of them will technically bolt up, though.

So I can use a newer one from an Ls truck or a big block truck? If so, that'll make it easier to find a good one.

And they're even less if you go on a half holiday sale like this weekend was.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Oh man I know, I wish I would have known yesterday, I'd probably be calling black bear tomorrow. Oh well. I just bought a new compressor with a bunch of new stuff so it's probably a good thing that I didn't find out earlier ha

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I can use a newer one from an Ls truck or a big block truck? If so, that'll make it easier to find a good one.

Yes. The 2000+ "LS bellhousing bolt pattern" that's mentioned in that Sloppy Wiki link is just one extra bolt hole in the very top of the bellhousing. You can leave it empty.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Both of those threads in your last post are in regards to 2WD cars... I seriously doubt much of that driveline information will apply to our trucks.

In my situation my donor transmission was from a C3500 and was set up for a two piece driveshaft with a bolt on front yoke, so my mechanic found a two piece driveshaft from a C3500 the same wheelbase as my C1500. Used the yoke that came on the transmission, and a conversion joint on the rear to hook up to my 10 bolt's pinion yoke. Sorry I'm really no help in this situation but I'm also curious as I'm definitely going to make the swap in my K1500 Suburban if the 4L60E in there ever gives me any trouble.

@Supercharged111 Haven't you done this to a 4WD? Did you use your existing transfer case and/or driveshafts?

Damn I'm an old geezer, I don't know if I've ever been tagged before? Nifty trick. I converted my electric case over to a 32 spline input, replaced the plastic shift fork pads, and installed some sort of lock ring eliminator. Had the rear shaft shortened and ghetto extended my front by grinding the splines.

Chris253

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like that is what I'm going to do. I'm on the search for a decent torque converter right now which I'm noticing are a bit more expensive than the 4l60e. I might just pick up a good used one to use until I get the camshaft for the engine just to get it going for now.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just get a stock small block converter, they stall around 2000. Big blocks and diesels got the lower stall.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The stock 4L80E BU-52 torque converter for the gas engines is pretty loose compared to the 4L60E ones.
If you have a WhatEverItTakes transmission local I got a BU52 for $80 I think it was.

If your looking for a stall, I recommend Circle D in texas. I've had a few of theirs and they are awesome to work with.
I've got a 10" billet triple disk 3400 in the 4L80E in my '91. It drives like stock till you put some power to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I re-used the torque converter that came in my 4L80E, I couldn't find a tag on it but it came from a '97 C3500 with a 350. Works fine behind my 4.3 V6.

I've also heard good things about Circle D. Whenever I get around to LQ4 swapping my truck I'll be contacting them for a custom converter. I've already emailed them once and they were super helpful.