4l60e to 4l80e swap adapter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris253

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/t...-1977-chevy-4l60e-to-4l80e-transmission-swap/

I found this article and noticed that they didn't need to shorten the driveshaft.. has anyone heard of this transfer case adapter? It says that attitude performance has a kit that can be used but I'm not finding anything on their website or anywhere else unless I'm just not looking hard enough. Just weighing options here. I'm almost certain that I'm going to be making this swap. I would like to avoid modifying the driveshaft if possible but if not oh well

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you sure they didn't modify driveshafts in that article? I found it while I was researching for my 2WD 60E to 80E swap and I always assumed that adapter in combination with the different input shaft was just used to bolt the 80E to your existing transfer case. I didn't think they had anything to do with the driveshaft length. They even mention altering driveshafts briefly in the caption of picture 19.

"The 4L80E is 1 5/8 inches longer than the 4L60E. In most situations, this means that new front and rear driveshafts have to be made. It also means that the transmission crossmember must be moved rearward."

Chris253

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"there are various different lengths for the th400 style/4l80e yoke. You will need this one to maintain the stock drive shaft length"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BKO1I1E?tag=viglink22733-20

You will also need what's referred to as a '*******' u-joint to make that work.

https://www.amazon.com/Moog-534G-Un...UTF8&qid=1516247239&sr=1-1&keywords=moog+534g

http://www.gmfullsize.com/threads/1999-chevy-rcsb-build.304392/page-33#post-5950128

Found on page 33 on the above link.

Not sure if this is the same. I apologise if I'm incorrect, Im still gathering as much information as I can without assuming incorrect info so please correct me if I'm wrong

Chris253

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure they didn't modify driveshafts in that article? I found it while I was researching for my 2WD 60E to 80E swap and I always assumed that adapter in combination with the different input shaft was just used to bolt the 80E to your existing transfer case. I didn't think they had anything to do with the driveshaft length. They even mention altering driveshafts briefly in the caption of picture 19.

"The 4L80E is 1 5/8 inches longer than the 4L60E. In most situations, this means that new front and rear driveshafts have to be made. It also means that the transmission crossmember must be moved rearward."

I think that adapter is smaller to make up for the length plus the input shaft is shorter. I think in the first article they were talking about the front drive shaft (in the photo) but the "most situations" bit was for the conversion without the kit. It doesn't seem like the article was written very organized

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Both of those threads in your last post are in regards to 2WD cars... I seriously doubt much of that driveline information will apply to our trucks.

In my situation my donor transmission was from a C3500 and was set up for a two piece driveshaft with a bolt on front yoke, so my mechanic found a two piece driveshaft from a C3500 the same wheelbase as my C1500. Used the yoke that came on the transmission, and a conversion joint on the rear to hook up to my 10 bolt's pinion yoke. Sorry I'm really no help in this situation but I'm also curious as I'm definitely going to make the swap in my K1500 Suburban if the 4L60E in there ever gives me any trouble.

@Supercharged111 Haven't you done this to a 4WD? Did you use your existing transfer case and/or driveshafts?

Chris253

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh damn I didn't even notice that. Well son of a.. I might just end up pulling one off of a different truck. Preferably not from a junk yard. I would rather just have the swap done in one day rather than spend time away from it. This is going to be happening really soon since I just about finished the engine (still no camshaft) and the 4l60e will not stand a chance in it's current state. I'm almost wanting to convert it to a 4l65e but I figure that the 4l80e swap is probably easier, and I can just save up after that to buy the tools to rebuild it later once I do other cool things to the truck.

So from what I've read I'll need the transmission obviously, tune, shift bracket, longer lines, dipstick tube, modify the wiring, torque converter, flex plate, and the driveshaft modified. I might have black bear tune it to the 0411 box. Does this sound about right? I still don't know what torque converter to buy either.

Chris253

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh nice I read that one, didn't realize it was you haha. I'm hoping to spend right around the same on a transmission. Ive been seeing a lot of them around here and for some reason those trucks like getting rearended or tboned. I guess that's a good thing for me. Thanks for the insight, I'll definitely be back.