Register to remove these ads

4l60e slipping after warm up

Discussion in 'Transmissions' started by puresw, Apr 5, 2012.

1. puresw

puresw Newbie

Hey guys just joined the forum after picking up a 96 silverado with 118,000 on it as a little project and I hope someone can answer this one for me. The truck shits ok before it warms up but once it does it slips bad in any gear, won't even move. Could this be a valve body problem or should i just have it rebuilt? It would suck to have it rebuilt if I don't need to.

2. DGA1

DGA1 I'm Awesome

That sounds like a lot more than just a valve body problem, more like no pressure on the clutch packs once the transmission warms up. Before throwing money at it, it will pay dividens to diagnose it correctly on the first go around. Check the obvious first, like the fluid level. Than move on to a line pressure test or dropping the pan and checking if the filter is seated correctly on the transmission and has not cracked, or fallen off. Either way if you try driving it like this you'll burn up the transmission.

Here is something interesting I found:

Edit:
    Here is more on the same...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  3. JollyGreen

JollyGreen Metalworking Madman

Is it after you are warmed up and the truck has been over 50mph for a few miles? Any codes? Could be the torque converter. Mine slips from 1st to 2nd only, and only after it's been over 50mph when warm.