4L60E Messed up? Help Within

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gerardobernal1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wen I put it in D from park or reverse or neutral, it kicks in hard. And the rest of the gears are fine. What could that be?

96_tahoe

Reaction score
ok i am having the four gear torque converter shudder and i will do it only on some days and not on others. it does it like coming up hills and yesterday to me getting on the interstate. i read what it says bout this problem and i had the trans rebuilt back in march or so. i had the beast shell and new torque converter and the pressure turned up and new plate and basic everything else or he said thats what is installed.... now its doing this and throwing a ses light. any ideas?

Reaction score
my 4l60e does the same as silveradoguy85 however mine will do it after a period time of driving.. now when i read my computer last, it had tranny slippage error, something with an 02 sensor thinking bank 1 i forget and EGR low read circuit or something i re-wired my EGR ground being the problem EGR code went away fixed everything but tranny and same thing, but it only does it once and a while Mine will only **** extremely bad on first and 2nd gear. 3 4 and over drive is fine.

Str8rayzor

Reaction score
My trans in my 94 has started slipping recently and it takes it a second to catch when I shift into reverse or drive. I'm probably going to get it rebuilt sometime soon but I was wondering if anyone knew about how much a full rebuild cost.

Chad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
sometimes when the weather changes and gets colder my 4l60e will get stuck in second or third and will not shift. the rpm and speedometer will quit working and it drives me crazy. if i shut the truck off and crank it back up it will be fine, sometimes i have to try it a few times. anyone got any ideas? i just changed the tranny and the speed sensor is brand new.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Figured I'd let anyone with a 96' with a 4l60e (built before 2/14/96) that I had my service bulletin wire installed, and it really made a huge difference in shifting quality and timing.

My 4l60e is feeling good for being an original with 227k miles on it now.

cat-chevymech

Reaction score
My 4l60e early model. Has no 4th slips 3rd unless in d if in od it will slip all shifts and still no 4th in manual it shifts firmly until 2 3 shift and i have to let off to get into 3rd and still no 4th it wont even try to grab 4th

Im great with any thing that has to do with trucks and equipment. But auto trannys confuse the he** out of me

Dwayne

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen with my 97 Tahoe, the 1-2 shift solenoids were bad especially after a good freeway run until you get off the highway and it would feel like its about to jerk the drive shaft loose into 2nd took it to a transmission shop and they did a free code readings and the result was a 1080 code showing the transmission was done, I heard a lot of horror stories about the 4L60E transmission as it's only good for fuel economy and good gas mileage and i got a good 3 years out of mine. Another thing to is once you start adding horsepower upgrades as we see all of us do the 4L60E just cant stay strong as the 4L80 does even though the debate and trade off on both transmissions continues. Lastly Chevy has made a ton of money on these trucks and you see them everywhere, But i always wondered why many where for sale and i found out why the hard way so as they say keep it in 3rd gear when towing because over drive is a killer. I hope you can get that fixed or you will be replacing the trans for sure.

Amp24 7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kinda confused as to where the transmission electrical connector is? I'm completely numb when it comes to wiring. Sometimes my truck gets thrown into limp-home mode and my gauges stop working. if I turn it off and turn it back on it resets for a bit.. Already replaced my VSS as others have told me.. didnt fix it.