454 Vortec Runs Poorly... (With FP readings)

Discussion in 'Engine Performance + Maintenance' started by BratRod, Aug 6, 2017.

1. BratRod

BratRod Newbie

Another dreaded Vortec fuel pressure thread... Yeah, yeah. If this was CSFI I wouldn't be asking but I've never dealt with the big motor so here goes.

Truck does not accelerate worth a damn. I'm getting about 8mpg, which is less concerning. Does not have a hot start or cold start issue.

The question is spark or fuel...

Fuel pressure test results are as follows:

KOEO initial: 40psi (if I cycle the key several times I can get it up to 48)

Bleed off test: Does not drop at all. Actually raises presumably from the heat. Gets up to 50 after a few min.

KOER: 38PSI

Steady 2500 idle: 34PSI

Wot while driving drops between 25-30psi

This seems really low to me. But I'm surprised it even starts? Hooked the gauge up to my S10 to make sure the gauge is fine.

I just replaced the fuel filter as a maintenance item. But this problem has existed since I bought the truck.

I'm thinking I'm gonna replace the fuel pump regardless. Just wanted your input.

Thanks in advance

WP_20170806_18_17_54_Pro.jpg

2. Supercharged111

Supercharged111 I'm Awesome

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's a 4 bar system just like the small block. Check the ground for the pump first, maybe corroded?

3. BratRod

BratRod Newbie

New oem pump woke her right up. Ground was also not in the best shape, so I took care of that.

cheers

6tag_230717-214935.jpg