400hp 350 Vortec?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The computer cannot think past ~5800. It has nothing to do with any of the hard parts in the engine...except for maybe the intake manifold. The vortec engine is detuned for longevity. Rich fuel mixture, torque management, and all of the vital sign sensors are there to try to keep the thing going past a quarter million miles. I'll say less about the 4L60E, which derived from the 700R4 which was designed to run behind 6 cylinder engines.

The fuel system will support a 400 horsepower build recipe, but this is a 400 horse motor that gets it done before 6000 rpm.

The warmed over carbed 350 in my Chevelle propels that car WAY faster than the warmed over vortec 350 in my suburban. I assure you of that.

I'm not sure I agree on the longer stroke having much to do with the output increase of a stroker engine. I'd rather have bigger bores and shorter stroke. This is just taste and preference.

Fuel injection is supposed to like single planes better than dual planes.

The longer stroke does mean more torque for equal cylinder pressure, for what that's worth.

And the dual plane was primarily necessary for fueling with a carb, as far as I know. Not necessary for efi, so I think you're right about that.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
The longer stroke does mean more torque for equal cylinder pressure, for what that's worth.

And the dual plane was primarily necessary for fueling with a carb, as far as I know. Not necessary for efi, so I think you're right about that.

Again. Not sure I agree but not the time or place for a discussion of BMEP and engine dynamics.