4 speed manual transmissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMT454

Reaction score
Straight six TBI, interesting. I've always loved Ford trucks up to '97 (3/4 ton+) as you could get them with a straight six that are damn near indestructible and with port fuel injection. Ford called it SEFI but it was a batch fire system. Still, I've never had an F series truck without that engine, love 'em. If I could get my hands on a 4.1 and that injection set-up though...

Too bad I don't have the engine anymore bud, though 4.1 is very small displacement though the 292 (4.8L worked better but still not a fast runnner though were durable.

GMT454

Reaction score
Black Water, this truck came from facotry with a non-GM diff (Spicer tagged as 3.42:1) vehicles built for Mexico seem to be like frankensteins made with older generation truck leftover inventories. 4 spd and a L6 engine for example, this is a half ton truck (C1500) that is the weirdness.
correcting my tag says 3.45 as it is a spicer diff not a GM but it came as that from factory

GMT454

Reaction score
Guys, guess what???? we were all wrong, I felt there was something not squaring here as my tranny does not look like a SM465.

Well, it is a T4 Tremec built in a T5 Case, I have found my tranny has the Tremec logo casted, and has exactly the same shape and sensors as the T5 as well as there was a mark "T5" inside and never but never thought would be possible to have a gearbox build like this, especially to be built as OEM. here is the link of a guy tht proves what I saw is real.

https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com/main-blog-page/t4-inside-a-t5-case

I'll be posting pics of my transmission during the week. and getting the gear ratios the tranny comes with.

Regards.

GMT454

Reaction score
Adding now T4/T5 gear ratios:
1st 4.03
2nd 2.37
3rd 1.50
4th 1.00
5th 0.86 (on T5 only, as T4 only has 4 speeds, though they can share case)

It is said this would not be a strong transmission for high torque (Also Tremec rates them @ 300Lb-ft admissible torque input) even if I can convert to 5 gears, it may be better to go for a swap on NV3500/4500, or even the venerable T-56 with a great Overdrive and big 450Lb-ft torque capacity. my actual 454 is not intended to stay as stock as it is now. and stock now

Here is a bit of what I've found:

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/manual/t4-t5/

GMT454

Reaction score
Guys update on transmission:

I GPS'd the truck and @ 3,000 RPM in 4th gear I only ran @ 60mph, does it sound a real number for a 3.45:1 diff? that is that the diff tag tells, but according to what you have told me 3K RPM @ 60MPH is likely a 4.10:1 or 3.94 please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's like they went out of their way to make it suck. A T4 or T5 is a ticking time bomb behind a small block in a truck let alone a big block, no matter how anemic and smogged out it mught be.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Of course, I'll post some pics of it, my engine is not from that truck, the 454ci engine which is carbd I got it from other truck years earlier. it came equipped with a 4.1 L inline six. Regarding the Top Kicks, I assume they mostly came out with 454s on TBI w 4 bolt main, and later models with the same engine on vortec EFI.

The Top Kick models had two gas engines as options, the 6.0 liter (366) and the 7.0 liter (427). The 454 (7.4 liter) was only in light duty pickups and passenger cars

GMT454

Reaction score
It's like they went out of their way to make it suck. A T4 or T5 is a ticking time bomb behind a small block in a truck let alone a big block, no matter how anemic and smogged out it mught be.

I agree bud, T5 is rated only to 300 lb-ft. On mine 1st on downshift and 2nd both up and downshift already grind awful since I had the original 4.1L engine, I want to get an NV3500/4500, or a Tremec T56 from a Camaro. not cheap options of course.