4.8, 5.3, or 5.7 swap info??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i'm kind of curious as to what I would need to swap a in preferbly a 5.3 out of an nbs truck in the years 99-01 in to 93 stepside with the 4l60e trans. I've been reading that the guys with the 5.3 in an obs are getting just as good of mpg's as I am with my V6 17-22 is there any truth to this? What would i need for the swap. I know I would need the wiring harness, computer, motor mounts, and a different fuel pump. But is there anything else? I want to run my current gauges etc. The motor wouldn't be stock, probably a small cam, headers, true duals, and a tune.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You would love a 5.3 in your truck, and yeah LS1truck has a ton of info on these swap's!

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You would love a 5.3 in your truck, and yeah LS1truck has a ton of info on these swap's!

I have no doubt I would love it. The only problem is, is doing the swap. My truck is my DD and I have no backup vehicle to get to school or work. So i'm thinking if I got all of it together and ready to be put in I could pull my v6 out in a few hours say on a Friday night. Then I could have the weekend to put the 5.3 in. Or Do you think it would take longer then a weekend to swap even if I had all the parts ready?

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is my DD and I have no backup vehicle to get to school or work. So i'm thinking if I got all of it together and ready to be put in I could pull my v6 out in a few hours say on a Friday night. Then I could have the weekend to put the 5.3 in. Or Do you think it would take longer then a weekend to swap even if I had all the parts ready?

I'm gonna say yes it will take you longer then a weekend to do the swap. Personally I've never did a LSx based swap in a GMT400 truck, but in general doing retro-fitted swaps like this take quite a bit longer in general unless you've did it 3 or 4 times to get a good knowledge of what it all takes. If you're swapping the same motor in as you took out, then hell yeah you could do that on a saturday. But doing a swap like this, a good rule of thumb when tackling a project like this for the first time is, take how long you think it will take and add about 15 hours to that. lol But seriously i don't think you'd WANT to do this in a single weekend. Your best off to take your time, and do everything with precision and don't cut any corners. Maybe see if you can find a buddy to give you a ride to work for a week or something along those lines? I think a LSx based engine in these trucks are awesome, and i plan to swap in a 5.3 myself someday when my motor bites the dust! Anyways, you have the right idea by collecting all the parts before you start the swap!

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm gonna say yes it will take you longer then a weekend to do the swap. Personally I've never did a LSx based swap in a GMT400 truck, but in general doing retro-fitted swaps like this take quite a bit longer in general unless you've did it 3 or 4 times to get a good knowledge of what it all takes. If you're swapping the same motor in as you took out, then hell yeah you could do that on a saturday. But doing a swap like this, a good rule of thumb when tackling a project like this for the first time is, take how long you think it will take and add about 15 hours to that. lol But seriously i don't think you'd WANT to do this in a single weekend. Your best off to take your time, and do everything with precision and don't cut any corners. Maybe see if you can find a buddy to give you a ride to work for a week or something along those lines? I think a LSx based engine in these trucks are awesome, and i plan to swap in a 5.3 myself someday when my motor bites the dust! Anyways, you have the right idea by collecting all the parts before you start the swap!

I didnt really want to do it in a weekend but was more curious as to if it could be done for a first timer. I'm going to keep my eye opened for a 5.3 but things like that are hard to come by around here. I would really like to find a wrecked truck and buy that that way I get an extra tranny and I know everything I need is there.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would really like to find a wrecked truck and buy that that way I get an extra tranny and I know everything I need is there.

Youre right on the money there bud! Buying a donor truck is the best way to go, like you said that way you KNOW you have all the parts. And you can get some of your money back out of it buy selling off the parts! Keep an eye on Craigslist, i see some wrecked GMT800's occasionally that are in the money on the price!

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Youre right on the money there bud! Buying a donor truck is the best way to go, like you said that way you KNOW you have all the parts. And you can get some of your money back out of it buy selling off the parts! Keep an eye on Craigslist, i see some wrecked GMT800's occasionally that are in the money on the price!

Do you have any idea what i could expect for fuel mileage and torque?

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With 4X4 i'd conservitively estimate you could probably expect somewhere's from 14-19 out of it depending on the way you drive. As far as torque numbers, i can't recall off the top of my head. You'll have way better throttle response and quite a few more HP's though!!

Last edited:

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
14-19 is pretty good mpg's. I get 20 around 20 now depending on how I drive. Damn this really makes me wanna swap it out.