4.3 vortec running rough when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyler55

Reaction score
So im driving a 1994 cheyenne 4.3 vortec. It has a little over 200 thousand miles on it. Tbi. When i start it up it runs good for a minute or two. But it has started to try to die after these two mins. If it is sitting at idle then it will die. After it warms up it drives fine and idles great. Ive completed a tune up. Have replaced my iac sensor, pcv , and im still having issues. Any ideas would be great thanks :)

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So... Is it the original engine to the truck? Because if so it's a TBI, not a Vortec. The Vortec engines started in '96. Just trying to clarify since you said it was both.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is what TBI means. The pre-'96 trucks have a pair of injectors in the throttle body, hence TBI. The post-'96 trucks with the Vortec engines used a CSFI spider with injectors for each cylinder. The fact that you're seeing the word "Vortec" in your engine bay tells me someone may have swapped a newer engine into your truck. Can you post a picture?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance here but I thought after 91 or something GM started calling the 4.3 "Vortec" for S&G's? Technically it was still TBI but GM nomenclature called it a Vortec... Thought I read that somewhere. Anyway, I cant imagine someone went through all the trouble to swap an actual Vortec V6 in...

Back to the OP's question: Have you tried swapping in a known 'good' engine temp sensor?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Huh, well I learned something today about the Vortec nomenclature in relation to the V6. Still curious about where that would be displayed in the engine bay of a '94 V6 truck, though. The first thing that comes to mind for me is the resonator box on the Vortec intakes.

I agree with @DerekTheGreat's suggestion about the coolant temp sensor. Also could be ignition related.

Tyler55

Reaction score
Says it right on the valve cover. It does have the two ingectors as well

You must be registered for see images attach

Tyler55

Reaction score
And i have not tried the temp sensor i could see that being an issue. Something i forgot to mention in the initial post is that it was running good until i put an engine cleaner into it. Thoughts on that ?