3rd brake light problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Jon 95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a 3rd brake light for Christmas and when I went to plug it in the red leds turned on like I was pressing the brakes. When I open the door it turns off and will turn back on when I close the door. Any thoughts as how to fix it or what is causing the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thatfordguy

Because I can!!
Reaction score
I had the same issue from an led I got off of eBay. I unhooked the yellow wire on the light and everything works as normal.

Big Jon 95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That fixed it, thanks!

W8TVI

Reaction score
I did a little research, and I have found out why this style of LED 3rd brake light works this way.

They have the circuit and the light setup to make it have "running lights".
You must be registered for see images attach

From this wiring diagram, they are hooking up the brake lights to D and B like it should, but they are hooking up the cargo light from C to B.
Normally this would be fine, but they are hooking up another circuit that causes the brake light to burn a lower level than full on from A to B.

I checked the voltage available from A to B, and when the dome light is turned off, there is 10 volts present between A and B.

Thatfordguy

Because I can!!
Reaction score
So another thing that I can't remember from my previous 98 and both factory bulbs were burnt out in my current truck but are the cargo lights supposed to come on when you open the door?

W8TVI

Reaction score
So another thing that I can't remember from my previous 98 and both factory bulbs were burnt out in my current truck but are the cargo lights supposed to come on when you open the door?
Not on this '98 Sierra. It only comes on with the cargo light switch on the dash.

Big Jon 95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had another brake light like the one I just put in and it worked just fine and I didn't have to remove a wire. The cargo light would only work when I had the switch flipped and the door open. After I pulled the wire out of my new one the cargo lights turn on whenever I flip the switch

Actjack

Reaction score
I had the same exact issue when i replaced my third light. I took my new light apart, and moved some of the wire connectors around. Now it only comes on when i press the break pedal or when i activate the cargo light...and im fine with that.