"395" ramjet cam on stock computer tune. Anyone running one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gibsonfarmsmo

Reaction score
as the title says. I'm pulling the engine in a few weeks to regasket the top end (head gasket leak) as well as replace the clutch. I'm debating swapping the cam while I have it out. Its on a 98 K2500 5spd manual. I just can't justify the 0411 and hptuners route due to the nearly $600 price tag. This is a daily driver so a mail order tune is really out of the question. I'd like to tune it eventually, but will the ramjet cam run well in stock form? or do i run risk of problems e.g. lean/rich fuel, etc....

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is a daily driver so a mail order tune is really out of the question

Why exactly? There's no downtime for the truck at all with many of the popular mail order tuners. Black Bear Performance is who I'd recommend. They send you the tuned PCM and then you either send your stock one back to them or pay the $60 core charge.

A cam swap with no tuning is going to leave a lot of potential power on that table. Personally I wouldn't do the cam unless you're going to tune it in short order.

gibsonfarmsmo

Reaction score
huh, I didn't know they would do that. That may be my best option. thank you and good to see a fellow show me stater on here.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're welcome! Cheers from the Columbia area! :cheers:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Small world! There's a few Missouri members on here, but not too many. Always good to see another!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
how does a mail order tune work?

Go to the website, fill out the form, describe all your modifications and how you want the truck to behave. Pay them $310. They send you a PCM tuned for your truck, which you can swap in yourself in about five minutes. (Seriously, it takes longer to disconnect the battery) If there's any issues or you want to alter something they'll do it for free, you just pay shipping.

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

If you have any questions just email them and ask. Super helpful staff.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just FYI it looks like they've changed their process a little since I ordered my tune. If you want the option I described with no downtime, make sure to read the fine print and click where it says "Order with a core charge." Otherwise they might ask you to send in your PCM first.