350 for 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guy on Craigslist posted trade a rebuilt 454 for 350 for his project s10.
What do you guys think about this, trading my 350 sbc for his 454 for my sc

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Buying an engine from someone that you don't know, or who built it, is always an iffy situation. Are there reciepts for the work? From a reputable rebuilder? Have you seen the engine? If so, does it look like it's been rebuilt, or just painted up nice & pretty? If you think that all is copacetic, a big block will give you big-time low-end torque over the revs that a small block has. A 6.0 or 5.3 will give you comparable numbers, but is a much more complicated swap. These trucks came with BBC's, so the parts for the swap are available. Is the rest of your drivetrain up to the stresses that a BBC will impart on them? If not, a heavy right foot behind a BBC wil certainly find them, right quick! Also, be prepared to be filling up more often. These engines can be pretty thirsty.

Last edited:

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it sounds to good to be true then it probably is, I bet there is a reason he want's rid of it.

rolla711

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Back away from the trade especially if you cant see it running. sounds to weird why would you trade a rebuilt engine for a used one that you have no history on? just saying....

chen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
eh not going that way anymore,
gonna stay with a 350 and get money for a 502:]

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
eh not going that way anymore,
gonna stay with a 350 and get money for a 502:]

good choice.. if your going 502 though an LS1 one LS2 can be swapped in as well for same or better performance and better mileage, slightly more complicated install though.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
good choice.. if your going 502 though an LS1 one LS2 can be swapped in as well for same or better performance and better mileage, slightly more complicated install though.
Also a big block weigh's a lot more than a SBC or an LS motor.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LS with a carb swap is not to complicated at all. MSD makes a stand alone box to be used with an edelbrock intake. Top it off with a 650-750 carb and you'd be good to go.