30" LED Bar Install + Pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The better brands don't realize they are horribly overpriced or think that they are some how so great that they are worth anywhere from 3x to 6x the cost. 125 is a steal and I'm sure it will last just fine. Even if the thing only lasts 2 years and assuming they stayed the same price, he could have bought enough to last 12 years for the cost of the so called better brands. There is no way that they are worth it. I laugh when I see people buying procomp or rigid light bars.
X2 ... I don't understand how they could justify 1,000 _ 2,000 got a light bar...must not have wives lol

Live action!!

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Removing the heatsink is not going to be a problem around here, i'm not going to be running this sitting still nor do we get extreme heat here anyway...

As far as being a cheap light bar, i wanted a cheap one. I wouldn't hack apart an expensive one... this was an experiment and it turned out just fine.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Removing the heatsink is not going to be a problem around here, i'm not going to be running this sitting still nor do we get extreme heat here anyway...

As far as being a cheap light bar, i wanted a cheap one. I wouldn't hack apart an expensive one... this was an experiment and it turned out just fine.
That was an awesome job. I think another thing that will save you is your fan pulling heat away from it and cool air past it. I wish I had the space to try it but my dual trans coolers barely fit

Nylanderz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would love to fit a 32" Curved bar like you did Dave. But i guess it will be a snug fit on mine, having them transcoolers and what not..
For some reason i keep thinking the gmc grilles have better space for that type of installation. :)

Is it even some who have tried putting a 32" Curved LED bar like that on a chevy grille?

Last edited:

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
88GMCtruck: I think the way you did it looks awesome, since it's not mounted on the outside and you can't see it from a mile away, the risk of it being stolen goes down alot and even if someone sees it it's still really difficult to steel. I will definitely do this with mine too!

Nylanderz: First of, Hello fellow Swed! :) Second, I was wondering the same thing, I have the Chevy grille but will be getting a GMC grille too, I'd really like to be able to have the lightbar mounted like that with both the grilles.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
That was an awesome job. I think another thing that will save you is your fan pulling heat away from it and cool air past it. I wish I had the space to try it but my dual trans coolers barely fit
Would love to fit a 32" Curved bar like you did Dave. But i guess it will be a snug fit on mine, having them transcoolers and what not..
For some reason i keep thinking the gmc grilles have better space for that type of installation. :)

Is it even some who have tried putting a 32" Curved LED bar like that on a chevy grille?
88GMCtruck: I think the way you did it looks awesome, since it's not mounted on the outside and you can't see it from a mile away, the risk of it being stolen goes down alot and even if someone sees it it's still really difficult to steel. I will definitely do this with mine too!

Nylanderz: First of, Hello fellow Swed! :) Second, I was wondering the same thing, I have the Chevy grille but will be getting a GMC grille too, I'd really like to be able to have the lightbar mounted like that with both the grilles.
Well, my truck has the e-fan on the passenger side (it's a 454 think) which is where the transmission cooler is on 1/2tons or diesels. You could do it if you had both coolers, just need to cut more fins off. I still haven't had a problem with mine missing the fins.

As fas as fitting it in a chevy grille, I don't think they are much different space wise overall, my only complaint with a chevy grille would be having the light and the center grille bar will block a good amount of cooling IMO, the GMC grille has a lot more surface area. I do know the earlier 88-93 grilles have more space behind them.

Nylanderz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well hello there too MsChevy! :) I will be ordering a led bar and try, will post pics of the process! 88GMC what was the measures on your bar? (Beside being 32" wide) found one ebay that looked interesting!

Nylanderz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update.
Did this operation on my '97 Chevy 6.5TD auto/AC with the Chevy grille and it requires an insane amount of cutting, almost removed about 85% of the cooling fins on the back of the Led bar plus it required abit of grinding into the plastics on the grille. It does work, and looks good but for how long is the question...

I highly suggest not to do this on a Chevy with a Chevy grille!

-Nylanderz

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Well hello there too MsChevy! :) I will be ordering a led bar and try, will post pics of the process! 88GMC what was the measures on your bar? (Beside being 32" wide) found one ebay that looked interesting!

I have no clue..... It's just a generic one. I bought it basically blind, hoping I could make it work.