30" LED Bar Install + Pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wrapped up the install of the 30" LED light bar we got from M & R Automotive - http://www.mandronline.com/ - they are also vendors on this forum.

The stock lights on these trucks are not very good and my cheap ebay ones aren't any better. This upgrade makes a GMT400 as bright or brighter than any modern car. The difference is literally day and night :D

I have my light bar wired to the high beams via a fused relay, if I ever don't want it I can just pull the fuse and the lights can turn on with no key in the truck if needed. Even though the 30" bar throws an enormous amount of light only draws about 15 amps max so you can run it a long time with the vehicle off.

You must be registered for see images

I considered a lot of options for the mounting of the bar but in the end settled on one of the simpler options, your needs and tastes may lead to a different setup. The bar comes with L brackets for each side and hardware to mount to a flat surface. I ended up getting longer hardware and spacers with matching washers.

The spacers drop the bar down about a half inch and it fits very snug in the shell. A small bit of the chrome on the upper lip was trimmed in each corner to allow the L brackets through. I taped up everything while I was working to avoid scratching everything to hell. The metal fins on the back of the light needed to be trimmed in the middle to fit around the hood latch support. This isn't a big deal just be very careful about cutting into the cord while working. I held a flat piece of metal over the cord when working near it so it couldn't get damaged.

The finished result is quite visually striking and extremely effective. I no longer have to worry about outdriving my headlights at night.

Low Beams vs High Beams (4HI mod + bar)

Overall, I strongly suggest an upgrade to your lights if possible and have found that LED is quite a good option for doing so. Check out M & R for LEDs of all sizes.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Absolutely no comparison to HIDs in output.

Also it has been proven a hundred times over that HIDs in a halogen housing is a bad combo.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Legal for street use? Considering doing something similar

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Bar looks good! Another benefit of LED over HID is that they draw much less current from your system than HIDs, when considering lumens per amp.

I love that LED lighting is progressing so well, i've been considering something smaller than yours for my truck, but awesome product none the less.

I've been looking at their Duallys or Dually D2s. They'd make great driving or reverse lights.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Looks great! I wasn't expecting it to look do good on the grille! I love those LED light bars!

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Why not just get
hids?

HID's are great for low beams, as long as they are 35w, but for they highs they suck. As soon as you turn them on you have to turn them off for a passing vehicle. LED's on the other hand are instantly on, stay cool, more reliable, ... Besides, you will not find a HID setup that will compare to that for the price. A lightning bolt should be jellous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
LEDs don't stay cool.

At least those light bars don't... That's one of the biggest problem with LED bars from ebay/china. They don't put enough thought into cooling and the LEDs burn up. You get what you pay for when it comes to LED light bars.