265/70/18 too big on stock 'burb? What's up with newer wheel sizing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys.
My rig has 265/65 18's. I'm thinking this was not a factory configuration? Anyway, I recently bought a set of used but good 265/70 18 Coopers off craigslist. When I did the math I figured they would be 1/2" taller than my current tires but holy cow they are a solid 2" larger in diameter. This is an otherwise stock '96 k1500 and after 196k I'm sure there is some suspension sag. Do you think I will be able to run these without rubbing? I was also a little concerned about things like gas mileage and wear and tear on steering/4x4 components. With that in mind, I was looking at buying a second set of wheels so that I could just swap at home whenever I wanted. One set for dry weather hiway, one set for snow and off road. So this guy nearby has a set of wheels from a 2010 Tahoe. Do I understand correctly that wheel configurations changed a lot around 2008 or so? Thoughts, advice, ramblings appreciated.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
The factory configuration will be recorded on the door jamb sticker, likely either a 245/75/16 or a 265/75/16.

None of these ever came with a 17 or 18" rim.

Every tire manufacturer has different diameters, tire rack is a good source to compare brands and specifications.