2500 on 40's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olredchevy92

Reaction score
Hey everybody.ive got a 94 k2500 it's in a 6" lift with 35's right now.But I want to put it in a 14" whiplash lift with 40" Toyo's.i don't beat the truck I do tow with it some times.nothing over 7k roughly.I've seen ALOT of truck on 36-40" tires with ifs in our year models.but I'm being told that my 2500 front end. Will not hold up to 40" tires.i know I can SAS it but I really want to keep ifs if I can.please help me out so I can get started.thanks

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
according to the Whiplash website, they want $3,799 for that kit without driveshafts and without labor. I would seriously look into other options if it were me. If you have a 6" lift right now, you could trim a little and clear 37's. That will probably give you more ground clearance than the huge drop down brackets on the Whiplash kits, even with 40's. For the amount of money you would spend on the bro-tastic whiplash kit, you could SAS your truck and have money left over.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
OK this is strictly opinion. And keep in mind I have zero love for ifs. Keep the 6" and throw on a 3" body bam! You'll clear 40s. That whiplash lit is a waste of money when you'll end up solid axle swapping in 6 months anyway.

Last edited:

olredchevy92

Reaction score
It has a 6" suspension turned all the way down to roughly 3" as in no bolts in the adjusters and a 3" body lift to make it a 6" so I could turn it up to a 9" but if I have to turn it up it'll wear the front end out and ride like pure crap.And I would love to get the 14" to take my body lift off and run at least 38" tires.Nickthehick how high are you turned up on your torsion bars

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste the money on the whiplash kit. I had the old style 10" on mine years ago. It wouldn't hold alignment. Mine is a 1500, but even having the 2500 I still wouldn't run anything bigger than a 38 on the ifs.
You'll be replacing tie rods, ball joints every 6 months. I have a hp 44 in mine,and it's fine for how I drive the truck. I don't beat on it. I'm on 40" nitto on 20x12's. You'll be money ahead in the long run going sas.
I have around 11" of lift and I tower over the 40's.

You must be registered for see images attach

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
save your money and sas it. If you run 40s its gonna tear your ifs up nomatter how much the T bars are cranked up or down whereas 40s on a dana 44 or 60 will last much much longer.

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It has a 6" suspension turned all the way down to roughly 3" as in no bolts in the adjusters and a 3" body lift to make it a 6" so I could turn it up to a 9" but if I have to turn it up it'll wear the front end out and ride like pure crap.And I would love to get the 14" to take my body lift off and run at least 38" tires.Nickthehick how high are you turned up on your torsion bars

if your 6'' kit is set to 6'' you shouldn't wear out the front end any worse than you do now as long as it is properly aligned and front end is tight. It also shouldn't ride bad if its set where it is supposed to be unless you have really cheap shocks and/or worn front end parts. On my 91 K1500 I have a 4" kit and I clear 35's easily with minor trimming and its not cranked as high as it could be. if your truck is set at the 6'' it is intended to be, and with your 3'' body lift you should have absolutely no issues clearing at least 37's. That is almost as big of tire as I would ever run on an OBS front end anyways.

rob_z71

Reaction score
i have a 4" suspension lift and a 3" body lift and im running 37s. id be very weary about running anything larger on ifs but if i did an add a leaf, ball joint flip, and cranked the keys a little more im sure id be able to fit 40s without spending $4k on a lift kit
You must be registered for see images attach

olredchevy92

Reaction score
Ok.i understand where you guys are coming from for use lonvetivitysas is better.my only question is I know it won't be car smooth but will it ride like crap and how will it handle highway speeds