2002 Tahoe sweet deal in hard times

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats normal with high miles. My tahoe eats a quart or two between changes. If you keep your foot out of it, its doesnt seem to eat as much
I'm used to it using about 3 Qts over a 3k mile period. But 2 qts in just over 1k is not normal. I know high miles 5.3s use oil no matter what you do but at this rate I'm not going to have any of the oil I put in at my oil change left. I had 190k on my 99 2 door tahoe and it didn't use a drop. Nothing I've owned has used any oil what so ever. One truck would turn it black in under 500 miles but didn't use any. So I figured why not so a few things and see if I can cut back on the usage. And I'll prolly change oil next time round and run either a conventional or rotella 15w40. Just to see if the extra properties in diesel oil will help my usage issue.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Ive tried that.. it helps some but mine doesnt like it at all in the winter. it made it sound like it was knocking when i started it up in the morning when it was real cold. My truck on the other doesnt leak or burn a drop and its got about the same milage.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive tried that.. it helps some but mine doesnt like it at all in the winter. it made it sound like it was knocking when i started it up in the morning when it was real cold. My truck on the other doesnt leak or burn a drop and its got about the same milage.
It's strange how it all works. I've got a new PCV valve to go in today so we will see how that runs. Need to resand my tailpipe where the oil is coming out the exhaust. We will see. I'm keeping an eye on it. Luckily I can get oil top offs free at work but it's 5w30 dexos oil.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I usually run 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter in both my hoe and truck. They dont seem to mind since they both have about 240000 miles lol

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another update. After replacing the PCV valve I've only used 1/4 quart in the last close to 1000 miles. So I'm doing good now. Also traded the 20s and 420s for NNBS 18 Z71 wheels and 275/70r18 Mastercraft AXTs. No pics yet as my truck stays dirty. My lady lives on a dirt road. Pics soon hopefully.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only pics I have with the new wheels lol
You must be registered for see images

Hopefully washing truck today and I'll get pics of it.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally got pics

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another update only used half a quart of oil since I did the PCV replacement. I need to clean/sand my tailpipe back down and see how it looks after driving a bit. Oil change is due now changing at end of the week when I get payed. Switching oil this time to see if that helps the usage. Not sure what I'm going with though either a synthetic blend or just conventional. Need to pick a brand as well. Never thought I'd leave mobil 1 but oh well. Also not using Lucas this time. Would anybody recommend an engine cleaner to use before I change the oil

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did a little playing today

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Traded the 18s and 33s for 20s and 34s last week and couple be happier with he look. Now just need to find some decent tires.