2000 K3500 4x4 CC DRW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you don't want to learn/do the tune yourself, My vote is #3. It's essentially the same setup I did except a few friends and I chipped in to buy EFI Live V2 and I worked with Blackbear to do my tune.
Why'd you get the v2, doesn't the v1 do our trucks for $150 less?

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to vote 1 of course. The time involved isn't that bad, I would provide help along the way if you have HPT. Doing it yourself you'll end up with a better tune, and a better understanding of how the computer thinks - which greatly aids in troubleshooting any issues. Also, the vcm scanner that you use to data-log (comes with HPT) is really nice to just have around. You can log any parameter the computer is monitoring, which is also really nice for troubleshooting. Most GM vehicles newer than our 1998 are also supported, so you can tune those as well.

If this is the only gm vehicle you think you'll ever want to tune, then maybe it's not the most cost effective option. On the other hand if you have other vehicles to tune or you think you may even want to do more mods later on with this truck having your own software will pay for itself, when compared to paying someone to tune it.
Tough call, i don't know of anything else i'd tune, my wife has a jeep, but i don't see modding it any.
If i could tune my Evolution with it i'd be all for it, but isn't a supported vehicle.

You might have me sold if you could point me where to find a base map :D
Unless the factory one already on the 411 is good enough to get the truck to start and run :shrug:

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know that the v1 is even available anymore. Besides that the v2 has more capability and when you have 5 people in on it it's not that expensive.
Ah makes sense, having a group pitch in makes it an easy choice.
Good to know the v2 has more capability, that may change make the decision easier.

Beeffajitas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no 411 454 factory tune. The tune from Lextech is a custom tune off of one of his friend's hopped up motors. It'll start and run the truck, but it was not ideal for a stock motor.

I had a dyno tune done on mine, which picked up some wide open power, but it still needs some drivability and cold start tuning.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tough call, i don't know of anything else i'd tune, my wife has a jeep, but i don't see modding it any.
If i could tune my Evolution with it i'd be all for it, but isn't a supported vehicle.

You might have me sold if you could point me where to find a base map :D
Unless the factory one already on the 411 is good enough to get the truck to start and run :shrug:

You mean someone you can buy a 411 from with a tune, or just a tune file? I have a tune from a guy that did a 411 swap in a fairly stock 454 truck that would probably be close, I could send it to you as long as you have hpt. It would definitely be close enough to get it running.

One thing we haven't mentioned yet, to really dial in the wot areas of the VE and MAF tables you need a wideband o2 sensor, they're not terribly expensive, maybe $200. You could definitely get by without one though, would probably just want to leave PE a tad rich. I would imagine that is what all the mail order tuners do.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is no 411 454 factory tune. The tune from Lextech is a custom tune off of one of his friend's hopped up motors. It'll start and run the truck, but it was not ideal for a stock motor.

I had a dyno tune done on mine, which picked up some wide open power, but it still needs some drivability and cold start tuning.

Which software are you running?

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Ohy... Well that is not what I wanted to hear on here. I've been driving with that tune for about 2yrs.

Looks like HPtuners will be a Christmas present to me this year.