20 Questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a hell of a deal on that truck. 6.0, 4L80E, 14 bolt, you can't go wrong swapping those into your Tahoe. This will be a lot of work but well worth it in the end. The 4wd rear ends are wider than the 2wd, so you'll need to source a 4wd rear end or use spacers. Of course you can leave the 10 bolt in there too. Then you'll need to mod the 4L80e for your 99 transfer case. If your donor truck was/is 4wd, it's pretty much plug 'n play. A little wiring here and there and you're golden. Also, the 0411 PCM is a must in this situation.

Jim's 72

Reaction score
Both trucks are 4wd so that makes life a lil easier.
As an admitted newbie....the 0411 pcm is what exactly?

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Oh sweet dude. Both being 4wd makes life a SHITLOAD easier. Plug that drivetrain into your GMT420. It will live FOREVER and you'll be super happy with it.

0411 swap: http://pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3240&start=0
It's necessary for you to run the 6.0 in your Tahoe.

Uh no, that link is to put the 0411 computer ON A SMALL BLOCK 350!!! Not for a 6.0 LSx engine. He has a WORKING computer, Why would he change it? He will at best have to have someone recalibrate the tachometer because it will give half as many signals as the tahoe cluster is looking for, therefore its rpm will show 1/2 of what it should if left unchanged. Also the speedometer has a different amount of pulses per mile from the 800's factory cluster. I believe the 99 tahoe will have the right fuel system setup on the tank and the sending unit is still going to the original gauge. Theres noting to this but swapping the bodies out and rewiring the plug that goes into the 800 cab to go to the tahoe. One other place I see is the transmission gear indicator lights, they go in on the opposite side of the tahoe cab to where all the other wires enter it. The 0411 swap is to make use of a larger calibration file that is more precise on the OLD 350's for such things as tuning a forced air induction or other high horsepower mods to the original power plants. Whatever is in the 800 right now is programmed and tuned to the full drivetrain that it is hooked up to. He wont have to do a lot of fancy splicing, he has all the light connectors, 4x4 actuator harnesses and a full wiring harness IN the running truck that he can set in place of the wiring on the tahoe.

You need to check the frame lengths as well, I believe the tahoe is shorter. We found out that the leaf springs that are under tahoes wont fit under a gmt400 or 800... This also could impact your drive shafts. You may be forced to do the swap into the tahoe frame if this is correct. Im also under the impression that there arent too many differences between a 1500 frame and a 2500 frame, All the suspension components for a drop kit are the same part numbers on both 1500s and 2500s.

Ive done a 5.3 swap into an ECSB k1500 but not a tahoe. We kept the stuff in the 400 from torque converter back, and I'd suggest getting as much as possible if you HAVE to swap engines. Even with the engine mount adapters, the engine wound up being 2" too far forward to just bolt up, and you will lose the factory position for the gmt800's a/c compressor if you use those mounts. You also wont be able to use the Shoenfield(sp?) Long tube headers unless you have a minimum of a 6" lift if you still have IFS. the collector is right where the front driveshaft is located when its sitting stock, and it still may not clear with the 6"... You could pull off shorty headers, or just re-use the stock manifolds. If your on a rewiring frenzy, you can use the tahoe fusebox, but you said you didnt want to have to do much of that.

Im sorry to anyone if I come off as being a bit of an a-hole, but things aren't quite as they should be in my personal affairs.

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're right. That link is for swapping the 0411 into a GMT400 platform for the L30/31. You can also (and many do) run the LSx platforms with the 0411. If you swap the 6.0 into your Tahoe, that's the PCM you'll want to use. Some run both the black box and the native GMT800 pcm (whatever it is) and there are guides available to use both. But why when you can simply use the 0411?

Swapping the engine will move things forward 2" but installing the 80e will bring them right back in spec. Swapping the 6.0 and the 80e at the same time will allow you to keep your driveshaft.

PM Lextech (Jeff) about the PCM swap. I don't know if a pinout exists going from an L31 to an 5.3/6.0 using the 0411. However, I do guarantee he will be able to provide you all the information you need or point you in the right direction.

If you swap the motor, you'll retain the GMT400 a/c compressor and plumbing. Someone makes an adapter for the compressor. I don't know a lot about it but there's plenty of information out there.

By all means, swap the body if you're so inclined and it'll all fit. In my opinion, it's easier to swap the drivetrains.

Jim's 72

Reaction score
Well, the "donor " truck is purchased...almost.. lol..waiting on corporate paperwork. I can't get it until all the t's are crossed and i's dotted. I haven't even had a chance to get down to the storage yard and take measurements. Looks like this project will kick off further into the winter then I wanted it to oh well

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
You're right. That link is for swapping the 0411 into a GMT400 platform for the L30/31. You can also (and many do) run the LSx platforms with the 0411. If you swap the 6.0 into your Tahoe, that's the PCM you'll want to use. Some run both the black box and the native GMT800 pcm (whatever it is) and there are guides available to use both. But why when you can simply use the 0411?

It is possible to use the native 800 computer without the use of the black box pcm, and not just the 0411 pcm, It is possible to make the others work since the 800 pcms are all designed to run those motors. It takes about the same amount of work since they're pinned the same minus one or two wires.

I would almost just suggest doing this instead and not have to worry about integrating gauges, plus it has a different look.
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?330-anolog-gauge-kit-swap-in