1999 350 heads not aluminum?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mxrider51

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 1997 Sierra with a 305 engine and just picked up a 350 from a 1999 and I thought it would have aluminum heads but it does not , should I be looking to upgrade to aluminum heads or stick with what is on the 350. I may open the motor up just not sure yet I'm thinking on installing a 395 marine cam while it's on the stand.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The 99 will have vortec heads, and they are a good flowing head. When it comes to heads and cams, This is the most effective up grade for performance that you can do to any 350. Aluminum heads will flow better than stock. When it comes to heads, you get what you pay for. Good aluminum heads are not cheap. Vortec heads can be modified to flow very well, and also to except a larger cam. The only issue here is that the OE vortec heads have a thin casting are are prone to cracking issues, and porting and polishing makes this worse. You can buy a set of aftermarket vortec heads that have a heaver casting, and can be ported and polished, and will hold up better to this than the OE heads will. In simple terms, an engine is just an air compressor, the more air you can get into, and out of it, the more power it will make.

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 1997 Sierra with a 305 engine and just picked up a 350 from a 1999 and I thought it would have aluminum heads but it does not
Unless you buy a corvette, no gen 1 small block ever came with aluminum heads. On top of that, vortec irons flow better/make more power then oem aluminums. Aluminum heads in 1999 would have to be an LS motor aka Gen 3 small block.