1998 TD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonka329

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the "new to me" 1998 6.55 turbo diesel home yesterday. I must say it is in very good shape considering the year. I have some mods to do before next Spring and a few to do before winter. It came with a "hide away" goose neck hitch and complete 5th wheel set up! I traded my blue '96 GMC K1500 for this truck. I'm not sure the 1500 would handle a 5th wheel camper and a goose neck very well. Still not totally convinced it would have handled an 8' plow. So, with that being said, I will be adding a boost guage and EGT guage for towing. I have the 4" exhaust on order for the first upgrade. Let me know what you guys think about it... Any tips or tricks I may not be aware of?

Tonka

Attachments

• copperGMC1.jpg
    copperGMC1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 33
  • copperGMC2.jpg
    copperGMC2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 25
  • copperGMC3.jpg
    copperGMC3.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 25

sierra97

Reaction score
nice truck, definetly watch the PMD, I have owned a 1998 6.5L turbo as a farm truck since 2008, only problem we ever had with it and ours has not hade a nice life

Tonka329

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Sierra. The PO relocated the PMD to the front bumper. So that mod I won't have to worry about

jhornsby3

Reaction score
If you plan on towing a lot with it, put a WMI system on it. I would see as much as 500* drop in EGT's when pulling the hills here in the west. I was running a 30' 5er. Pulling a 6% grade I would hit the top at 30mph and sitting pretty at 700*egt. I ran a 3gph nozzle at the bottom of the hill and when the temp would hit 900* to 1k* I would hit the 8gph nozzle. At 11gph it would drop temps pretty good. I could have run it as high as 15gph with no flame out. But with almost 250K on the motor........ I also ran a Turbo Master set at a max boost of 12psi.

vic_v8

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you end up with any problems, swap a mechanical pump on from a 92-93 6.5. cheaper, easier, and you can run used trans fuild or used oil at certain rates. I did that with mine.