1998 5.7L Vortec L31 Cam Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seger

Reaction score
What is the best aftermarket cam for a 1998 5.7L Vortec L31 1/2 ton K1500 that requires little to no modifications? My engine is completely stock. Any suggestions would greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Gm 14097395 works with stock engine. Tune really wakes it up.
HAve ran it both ways in 350 and 383 .works with you lifters rockers springs heads. Price under $200 .better off idle mid top end . Idle may give 50 rpm wave.

WHile your there look at distributor gear see if it is like a razor blade edge if it is its worn out.

Seger

Reaction score
I appreciate that information. Where is the best place to tune my 1998 Chevrolet K1500 350 Vortec? It has the original Computer and I know our trucks with the Black Box are not as Tuner Friendly as the 411 but I want to keep the original Computer and what to know where (What Company) I can get the most out of my Computer. What are the best options?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Also Can a Tuner Tune Out the O2 Sensors and Cats so that I can Straight Pipe it?

Yes, they can tune out the rear O2 sensors, but I wouldn't. Nor would I install 'true' dual straight pipes. With no bank to bank scavenging, you are throwing power out the window.

Installing a camshaft to make more power, and then throwing it all out the window is a non starter for me. Do what you like. :)

Slightly larger camshaft with headers and single exhaust with a Y, yes.
Slightly larger camshaft with stock manifolds and straight pipes, no.

Seger

Reaction score
That makes sense I definitely would want to maximize the power I have with the setup I have. What would you suggest for our trucks to get the most out of them for the Exhaust Setup?