1997 Suburban Ignition switch pin out request.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrAdam

Reaction score
Seems like this specific diagram is rather elusive.

I have not fully diagnosed my issue yet but will this afternoon; based on some previous issues I am pretty sure the ignition switch in my wife's 1500 has failed, but I am going to investigate the neutral safety too. From what she told me this AM on the phone she was not getting any dash power or cranking; i had her beat on the column a few times and she got dash power but still no crank. a few weeks ago it gave me dash power but no crank and i beat on the column and got it to come back, it had been fine since.

***in addition*** I we do also have issues with the wipers; either they will stick on when shut off (again beating on the column resolves this), the intermittent will stop being intermittent, or they will stop while on. my Hazards also will not stay on but i think that is because the switch for those is borked or gummed up. not sure if any of that could be connected, I assume they are all just separate issues.

I want to get this operational temporarily with a toggle switch and a push button (if I can) and order a new switch module next week ($117 to $158, wtf); I have seen one video that suggest it can be done on a '97 fullsize but the video was 21 seconds long, shot on a 1982 potato, and never showed the key. Nor did the poster mentioned how they did it.

Fairly certain there is no ignition security and it looks like I can access the connections in the switch by just pulling the lower column shroud. If it is the switch I also have no issue hacking the switch harness since it will be replaced with the new unit. I do have a bunch of relays I can use but would like to try and do this with a single toggle and a push button.

When I get home after lunch today i will check the regular stuff: battery, connections, and see if there is power in the run position or not. I will also play with the shiftier and see if neutral makes any difference, but i am fairly certain it's a switch issue and that the all the electrical in the column needs addressed.

Any guidance is appreciated and if someone has the diagram/pinout for the switch or even the diagram showing how to bypass the switch i would greatly appreciate it.

**also, just joined the forum and this is my first post here! don't kill me, I am mostly a Ford guy but this is my third Chevy and second fullsize; last GM I has was a 88 1500 4x4, no idea what was doen to the 350 but it was pushing a 4 speed and had 3 inch exhaust straight out the back. She screamed at 80 and ran like a brute.......lol

MrAdam

Reaction score
And of course it started right up when I got home... moisture related? It was cold last night too....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These are for a 1998, maybe they'll help.

Ignition switch connector C266

You must be registered for see images attach

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
98 introduced vats so he needs to get 97 diagrams. Most the colors are probably right but save the hacking of the harness and get the right parts. You'll hate your self latter if you don't fix it right the first time.

MrAdam

Reaction score
Yeah, the plan is to fix but if it was still down I needed to get it operational. Looks like the issue is temp related; the switch is failing but now that it has warmed up 40 some degrees out it works perfectly.

I am going to hold off for now on any hackery and order the part next week, hopefully it works till I can swap them out.

MrAdam

Reaction score
Failed to start this morning; put the key in and the dinger started, as soon as I turned the key everything went dead and did not come back. If I turn it to just before the run position the shift indicator will light and flicker but nothing else; just past run it goes out and there is no crank. Looks to me like that confirms the switch is bad and temp and/or moisture is effecting it.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a thought, I missed the last message, based on that comment. Make sure your battery connections are clean, tight and your battery is good.

MrAdam

Reaction score
Just a thought, I missed the last message, based on that comment. Make sure your battery connections are clean, tight and your battery is good.

You nailed it, that afternoon I went out and tried again; it was still cold and wet, was still raining too. This time when I put the key in the dinger went off but it stuttered; like it would if the battery was dead. I found the positive cable loose, but just barley. It only took 1/8th turn to get it right and everything is working as it should now; glad I waited and and did waste a bunch of time pulling one from a salvage yard. Something is still off with the switch, Monday morning I tested it and I had full power but no crank; I waited a few seconds and tried again, it cranked and started and has been fine since .

This time though, it was the battery cable; cheap fix!

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ignition switch failures are so rare I'd suspect a starter from that statement before a ignition switch