1997 k1500 Suburban & 1997 k1500 SBRC - Love this site!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeartbeatofA

Reaction score
Hey to everyone,

As a quick intro, I have used this site numerous times over the past 5+ years; it is full of great technical advice, minimal BS, and a great love for the GMT400 platform. Wow -- that just sounded like a salesman, which I am not. I fell In love with this body style at 16 when my dad passed me down a 1993 k1500 RCLB in dark gray metallic (after totally the first 3 beaters), which later lead to the purchase of 1998 Maroon GMC k2500HD EXLB, which I still regrettably traded in for $2,500 :( (with 105,00 miles).

I spend any free time I can find at a local U-Pull-it yard doing my civil service and saving any rare GMT400 parts that I am aware of (although no expert these forums easily remind me) which often include a good number of overhead consoles & underhood storage boxes, Factory Fog light switches & other switches, 96-98 K1500 Clutch Pedals (read below ha-ha), shifter linkages from various years, and any other salvageable part.

I own a 1997 Silverado k1500 SBRC 5.7 with the NV3500 manual trans which I searched for since high school (it was a dream truck at that time), and finally found a few years ago. The truck has 200,000 miles on the original engine. Truck is somewhat rare, at least if you try to find a similar one around PA. It is a fleet side with the 5.7L and manual trans. Came stock with G80 rear posi, bigger frame, full beige pleather 60/40 power interior with full power options and about any uprgrade I think the original owner could ad. I purchased the truck after sitting and had numerous issues to solve, which included a clutch pedal with broken tabs, clogged spider injectors, clogged cat, etc.

Also in the driveway is my most recent purchase as of less than a month ago -- a 1997 Chevy Suburban. Purchase price of $1,500. Completely rust free emerald green metallic with silver metallic center, Rust free, which is a big deal for high altitude PA winters. It has 180,000 miles, etc., etc.; It obviously has some issues at the price point but I need a family hauler and need reliability. I am planning to use my build thread to document fixing the common problems I'm facing with buying a somewhat neglected GMT400. As a positive note -- Aside from a radiator leak and numerous small problems the Suburban seems solid, made a 135 mile trip home, tracks straight, breaks awesome, only time will tell I guess.

Also, on the back of my mind is, that with this new hauler, the Silverado will be getting some overdue finishing of new cab corners and rockers (which is not a strong point of mine) and attempting my first full vehicle repaint. It seems like it will most likely end up in this build thread as well.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated! -- I'm not new to computers, just finally taking that leap from forum watcher to input adder.

Love the site!