1996 GMC K3500 DRW, Extended Cab, Flatbed, 454, NV-4500... DAILY DRIVER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What about suburbans? We will be parting a 98 K2500 out and scrapping the body/frame on it as well. They aren't worth anything around here anymore.
A nice condition 400 suburban goes for a couple thousand here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
One of the better looking 3500's I've seen.................beside the Black Fox lol. I love the upgrades you've done to it and its crazy how a good set of tires can change the look. Like someone else said, I about threw up when I read that you scraped the '96, we don't get rust free trucks around here often.

I'll echo what everyone else from the Midwest is saying; that truck that y'all scraped was a beauty and could be a gold mine around here in Minnesota/Iowa.

I love the transformation of this truck. Just finished reading the whole build thread. The cab swap was a great idea that looks really good! A few years ago I was wondering if it would be possible to swap a 1500 cab with third door on to a 2500/3500 6.5 TD truck to have the 3rd door, and this just proves it is possible with persistence and possible. Probably a little more work for a diesel, but still doable.

This trucks looks good, the best part by far is the knuckle and brake upgrade. Well done sir

Thank you all. The 3rd door is pretty awesome to have and not even from a rear passenger perspective...it just makes the cab f***ing accessible. The -800 front brakes are just
You must be registered for see images

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
You know what, for the life of me I will never understand why manufacturers did that in the first goddamn place offer ext-cabs with no rear doors. Even Dodge offered a 1/2 ton ext-cab with no rear doors. Thank god my 01 Ram had both rear doors, I very honestly would never have bought it in the first place if it had no doors at all.

No rear doors. Ridiculous.

Whats next on the build sheet for this thing?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
You know what, for the life of me I will never understand why manufacturers did that in the first goddamn place offer ext-cabs with no rear doors. Even Dodge offered a 1/2 ton ext-cab with no rear doors. Thank god my 01 Ram had both rear doors, I very honestly would never have bought it in the first place if it had no doors at all.

No rear doors. Ridiculous.

Whats next on the build sheet for this thing?
Back in the day trucks weren't used as commonly as passenger vehicles as they are today, along with structural components it took awhile to get to that point. GM was the first manufacturer to have the 3rd door in late 96, although ford also had it in late 96 on the 97 model year F-150.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Dude, I read this thread, I was happy, then sad about that wreck, then I was in so much joy that you guys put a lot of effort into this truck if your lives counted on it. (Sorry if I am being overly dramatic at this point...) This, this is just, wow. *sheds tear* I don't think I have read a more epic build thread in my life, there were ups and downs. :) Love that you made it a third door, that's a thing I like about my truck, 3rd door, makes life much easier. :D

I do have one question, did you leave the airbags in the truck from the half-ton?

Also, like others have mentioned, I am from the Midwest like some of the others on this thread, and clean trucks are worth everything! If I see one on Craigslist, I am shocked. We don't see a lot of that here and are worth high bucks. Usually, we see rusty or even rusted out rust buckets. Not common to see a clean, old truck, especially in Iowa since we have that stupid salt crap.

@83GMCK2500 do you have any updated pictures of the truck? :)

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
Dude, I read this thread, I was happy, then sad about that wreck, then I was in so much joy that you guys put a lot of effort into this truck if your lives counted on it. (Sorry if I am being overly dramatic at this point...) This, this is just, wow. *sheds tear* I don't think I have read a more epic build thread in my life, there were ups and downs. :) Love that you made it a third door, that's a thing I like about my truck, 3rd door, makes life much easier. :D

I do have one question, did you leave the airbags in the truck from the half-ton?

Also, like others have mentioned, I am from the Midwest like some of the others on this thread, and clean trucks are worth everything! If I see one on Craigslist, I am shocked. We don't see a lot of that here and are worth high bucks. Usually, we see rusty or even rusted out rust buckets. Not common to see a clean, old truck, especially in Iowa since we have that stupid salt crap.

@83GMCK2500 do you have any updated pictures of the truck? :)

Thank you for your comment, I'm glad you enjoyed the read.

No, the airbags went with the 1500. Would've been more work to put that system on my truck than we had time to deal with.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Yeah I'm glad you didn't put the airbags in your truck. :)

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Alrighty, this thread got linked for the GMT800 brake swap and now I'm curious whatever became of it because, last I knew, OP had a freshly painted RCLB dually he was rocking.