1996 GMC K3500 DRW, Extended Cab, Flatbed, 454, NV-4500... DAILY DRIVER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I wonder if I could make any money making a weekend trip somwhere buying parts bringing them back and selling them

chrmar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a guy about 3 hours from me that makes regular trips to the southern US and brings back parts for pickups. Usually just beds, but sometimes doors and fenders, a cab or two now and again, frame sections for trucks that are riveted together (97-03 F-150, Ranger, etc). The stuff he brings back is pretty much gold around these parts. Although I need to save up for a bed; he usually sells GMT400 shortbeds for $1000-1500.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
To make it worthwhile (fuel costs and parts cost) you will need a large trailer to haul it all.

There is a guy about 3 hours from me that makes regular trips to the southern US and brings back parts for pickups. Usually just beds, but sometimes doors and fenders, a cab or two now and again, frame sections for trucks that are riveted together (97-03 F-150, Ranger, etc). The stuff he brings back is pretty much gold around these parts. Although I need to save up for a bed; he usually sells GMT400 shortbeds for $1000-1500.
It's something I've always thought about doing. I'll keep thinking I spose haha

avargas

Reaction score
Your truck look really good. I'm in the process of building my c3500.
What size spacers on duals?

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
Your truck look really good. I'm in the process of building my c3500.
What size spacers on duals?
Both he and I are running 1.5" spacers with the 255s.

Thanks Dave.

THREAD REVISION - In post #69 I updated the start of it to include spacer information just before the relevant picture.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
One of the better looking 3500's I've seen.................beside the Black Fox lol. I love the upgrades you've done to it and its crazy how a good set of tires can change the look. Like someone else said, I about threw up when I read that you scraped the '96, we don't get rust free trucks around here often.

98MNChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll echo what everyone else from the Midwest is saying; that truck that y'all scraped was a beauty and could be a gold mine around here in Minnesota/Iowa.

I love the transformation of this truck. Just finished reading the whole build thread. The cab swap was a great idea that looks really good! A few years ago I was wondering if it would be possible to swap a 1500 cab with third door on to a 2500/3500 6.5 TD truck to have the 3rd door, and this just proves it is possible with persistence and possible. Probably a little more work for a diesel, but still doable.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I'll echo what everyone else from the Midwest is saying; that truck that y'all scraped was a beauty and could be a gold mine around here in Minnesota/Iowa.

I love the transformation of this truck. Just finished reading the whole build thread. The cab swap was a great idea that looks really good! A few years ago I was wondering if it would be possible to swap a 1500 cab with third door on to a 2500/3500 6.5 TD truck to have the 3rd door, and this just proves it is possible with persistence and possible. Probably a little more work for a diesel, but still doable.

One of the better looking 3500's I've seen.................beside the Black Fox lol. I love the upgrades you've done to it and its crazy how a good set of tires can change the look. Like someone else said, I about threw up when I read that you scraped the '96, we don't get rust free trucks around here often.
What about suburbans? We will be parting a 98 K2500 out and scrapping the body/frame on it as well. They aren't worth anything around here anymore.