1996 Chevy 1500 4x4 daily driver build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke Girard

Reaction score
So in November of 2017 I bought this 1996 Chevy 1500 4x4 for $500. The guy said the transmission was going out. All it needed was a new solenoid! It runs and drives great and the transmission shifts like butter. Fast forward a couple of week later to me offroading with some friends. I asked my friend to spot me while I backed up as my windows came tinted really dark. I was looking out my drivers side window and didn't realize he'd left the passenger door open..... The door ended up getting bent all the way back and messed up the hinges and then opened into the Fender and bent that too. So I tried to have my insurance fix it and they ended up totaling it out. I looked for a month or so but couldn't find a decent 4x4 same year or newer within my price range. So I ended up buying a "new" clean title cab for $350 and I'm now in the process of swapping everything over! After the swaps done I want to save up for a lift and some nice wheels and tires!
Here's what it looked like the day I bought it. Pretty decent for $500.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here he is putting in work picking up the new cab.

Everything should be swapped over by this weekend!

Last edited:

Luke Girard

Reaction score
Got the cab swapped today! We got the new cab on but I didn't get any photos because it was dark by the time we finished. Hopefully it'll be all back together by tomorrow night.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That hoist looks so much easier then using a cherry picker like I did. Not many places in cali do u see trucks with rust besides up here I'm the hills an valley, how far south are u

Luke Girard

Reaction score
That hoist looks so much easier then using a cherry picker like I did. Not many places in cali do u see trucks with rust besides up here I'm the hills an valley, how far south are u
I'm in Apple Valley. It's 15 minutes from Barstow, 45 minutes to Big Bear, and about an hour away from Huntington Beach. It's a nice place to live because in three hours or less you could be in L.A., Hollywood, The Beach, San Diego, the mountains, Vegas, or Arizona!

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya I know where that is, haven't been down for abt 10 year though, went down to idlewild, Temecula, Escondido, Pasadena and Brawley etc. got family all over down there
Got no worries of rust down there.

Luke Girard

Reaction score
That's for sure! Now I just need to find a clean white short bed, passenger fender, and hood for the truck to actually be all white. The white and blue looks pretty redneck lol

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ha yea seems like something I'd see up here.
How full are the junkyards down there? I'm sure they'd be a few part trucks u could snag