1996 Chevrolet K1500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
Realistically, as long as the heads are not leaking oil or loosing compression. You should be fine with a good cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtBag

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my experience, if you didn't excessively overheat the engine, the heads should be fine. That being said, if it was me, I'd have them decked and whatever necessary work needed done.

I don't like doing things twice.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Realistically, as long as the heads are not leaking oil or loosing compression. You should be fine with a good cleaning.

That's what I was thinking as well, but ideally I'd like to get em sent off to a shop. I'll have to do some calling around and get some estimates once I start the project.

In my experience, if you didn't excessively overheat the engine, the heads should be fine. That being said, if it was me, I'd have them decked and whatever necessary work needed done.

I don't like doing things twice.
Oh I absolutely 110% agree with you. I believe if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. My Dad on the other hand believes it should be done with haste and the least amount of work possible. When I start the job, I'm gonna call some shops and get some estimates. If it's a reasonable cost, I'm going to send them off to a shop.

Curt

Reaction score
The Suburban was filthy from the prior use before it was parked, and while it was parked so I had to wash it... much better.
You must be registered for see images attach

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Washing a truck that dnt even run ha, I do the same thing an wife comes out an ask why , well it's dirty an I want it clean.
Trucks looking good man

Curt

Reaction score
Washing a truck that dnt even run ha, I do the same thing an wife comes out an ask why , well it's dirty an I want it clean.
Trucks looking good man
Haha exactly! Gotta keep her looking good whether she runs or not. I love the look of a clean truck.

Curt

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Bought the gasket kit, new starter (old one was getting tired), power steering pulley puller, spark plug gap tool (just to have since its the cheapest on rock auto, and the ACDelco 131-151 thermostat.

1BigCarrot

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Curt

Compression tests can be quite subjective, do a leakdown test mate, gives you more info and pinpoints the issue a little more precisely. These heads are prone to cracking, whether overheated or not (it's the thin castings) not trying to scare you but trying to help you understand it might not be a simple HG replacement. Have a read here, you might find it helpful.

jsfrmsj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely get the upgraded Fel-Pro intake manifold gasket.

If you are going to tear that far down into the motor, I'd consider replacing the distributor since you got to pull it anyways, and at the very least change the fuel pressure regulator if not the entire spider injector system with the upgraded mpfi system.

Considering the condition of the inside of your radiator, maybe a waterpump as well or did you already order that?

Anyways good luck! Im gonna PM you if my motor blows lol.