1996 Chevrolet K1500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Congrats on the new drivetrain.

I'm jealous, 1 day i'll get a new one.
Thanks!

Clean that block up, get it checked out, and build yourself a 383!
I wish... but I lack the funding, and space to rebuild the motor. I notified the shop I don’t need the motor and they can do whatever they please with it.

Off subject of the burb, what's with the benz?
This car came as a surprise but when the head gasket on the suburban decided to give out on the suburban we decided to add another car to the fleet to drive our Grandma around (we used to use the suburban as it was my daily but she is getting older and lifted trucks are harder for her to get into) and take her wherever she wanted to go. My family said the car is mine, but I can’t accept that car. I’m truly blessed and grateful for the car but as far as I’m concerned it’s my grandma’s car, but I am the primary driver for it. It’s a 2013 Mercedes-Benz C63 w/P31 pkg (forged internals).That thing is stupid fast... if you got an IG, feel free to follow me @sek.c63 .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Curt, post: 1004193, member: 15068" I notified the shop I don’t need the motor and they can do whatever they please with it.
My family said the car is mine, but I can’t accept that car. I’m truly blessed and grateful for the car but as far as I’m concerned it’s my grandma’s car, but I am the primary driver for it. It’s a 2013 Mercedes-Benz C63 w/P31 pkg (forged internals).That thing is stupid fast... if you got an IG, feel free to follow me @sek.c63
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Hell if you weren't a few yours I'd snag that block. Idk what I'd do with it but I'm startin to get asked by my wife if im a hoarder cuz I'm gathering more parts then I need haha.

Well you seem like a good kid helping family out, there's a lot of people that do nothing and expect everything to be handed to them.

Curt

Reaction score
Hell if you weren't a few yours I'd snag that block. Idk what I'd do with it but I'm startin to get asked by my wife if im a hoarder cuz I'm gathering more parts then I need haha.

Well you seem like a good kid helping family out, there's a lot of people that do nothing and expect everything to be handed to them.
Damn, if I could've thrown the motor in the back of the suburban, it would've been a good excuse to hit some JYs up in Sacramento and meet you there... I doubt its still at the shop though. Although, if you're interested definitely let me know and I'll check up on it ASAP. I felt guilty getting rid of the motor since it had good compression... http://www.gmt400.com/posts/974367/

I try my best to be, but it definitely doesn't come without its sacrifices. It's a struggle to maintain a social life when your grandma keeps you busy all day haha. But, its all worth it seeing my grandma happy.

I definitely hear you there man, come visit my high school and see the definition of people doing nothing and get everything handed to them. It's disgusting...

Curt

Reaction score
Update time? I mean, there's not anything new going on really. Just been putting miles on the truck and using it whenever I can. At the end of May, we took the truck down to Long Beach to attend my brother's graduation from CSULB and the truck made it there and back with no issues. It can easily cruise down the freeway and keep up with the people in the left lane with no issues. It feels weird having people move out of the way for me on I-5... I'm used to having people cut me off when I approach them in the left lane LOL (typically they're in the right lane and hop over into the left lane to slow me down). So I've currently put on about 1,300 miles on the truck and it runs beautifully. No issues whatsoever. The 4L65e is amazing and paired with the corvette servo it's a good match. I'd like the shifts to be a bit more firm, but I don't feel the need to buy a super servo, or do anything crazy. Also, the steering is getting more sloppy so I might need to look into doing the jeep steering shaft or something along the lines of that. My Dad believes it's the steering box, but IIRC he replaced that within 30-60k miles ago... Aside from those couple of things, the Suburban is running like a champ.

Curt

Reaction score
I guess this might become routine, monthly update time. Well, the power locks have been acting weird lately. I believe the door lock relay has gone bad because there is no way 5 out of the 6 lock actuators decided to stop working at the same time. The problem is intermittent. Sometimes all the doors unlock, other times only the driver's door. I found a NOS OEM door lock relay for cheap on eBay, so I'm going that route first. Fingers crossed.

The concerning issue for me at the moment are the brakes. They developed an awful squeal and I thought it was the front brakes that needed to be changed. I checked the rotors and pads and they were both fine. I'm debating checking the rears as now it sounds like it's coming from there.

Also, has anyone else had this issue? Sitting at a red light for more than 2 minutes, the brake pedal becomes mushy and the truck starts creeping forward. I push my foot on the brake pedal to stop. My foot almost reaches the floor before it stops the truck again. Then the brakes return to normal once driving resumes. It does this at almost every light. Sometimes when I press the brake pedal that far down it turns on the emergency brake light on the dash. I've checked for the pedal contacting any wires but haven't seen any. I'm at a loss.