1996 Chevrolet K1500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Nice truck! How's the top end reseal going? I'm getting ready to do the same
Thanks!

As far as the truck goes, I'm going to post a huge update soon (probably closer to the end of next week). Once everything is complete that is. All I'll say is that it went just a little further than a top end job... :secret:

Definitely get the upgraded Fel-Pro intake manifold gasket.

If you are going to tear that far down into the motor, I'd consider replacing the distributor since you got to pull it anyways, and at the very least change the fuel pressure regulator if not the entire spider injector system with the upgraded mpfi system.

Considering the condition of the inside of your radiator, maybe a waterpump as well or did you already order that?

Anyways good luck! Im gonna PM you if my motor blows lol.
Definitely thinking about replacing the radiator and the water pump is definitely being changed.

Curt

Reaction score
Well, she's back... and nothing like before. Gosh, it's been such a long time I don't even know where to begin.. Oh yeah, that's right! Grab a snack and a drink cause this is going to be a LOONG story.

Let's start back to the roots of this: the blown head gasket. I was gearing up to do the job and my parents kept pushing it off. I finally told them I'm starting with or without their support once the calendar reaches Feb. Once Feb rolled around, I grabbed the tools, got the truck up to temp, and then broke the exhaust manifold bolts loose. My Dad came outside and stopped me. He said to not do the job and have a mechanic do it. He called around at different shops and got different estimates (one shop quoted us $12k) for a GM 350 crate motor engine swap. I called my transmission guy (Alan at Kwik Shift Transmission) and he referred me to his next door neighbor: Casey at RPM Performance (I would highly recommend them) to perform the engine swap. I called Casey and he quoted us $4k out the door for the swap. We spoke about doing a head gasket job alone and he said it wasn't worth the risk for what you're paying to perform a top end rebuild. He went in depth on it and was very knowledgeable and professional about everything. We booked the appointment. Casey is a very busy guy and is booked typically 2 years in advance, so we were lucky he let us in. Then the waiting game began...

The truck sat on the street since November 2017. Time was not kind on the truck. It developed a massive transmission leak, and then proceeded to spew coolant inside the engine bay (when running) because one of the heater hoses split in two. The oil pressure was abnormal and was pinned at 60psi and creating a blue and white smokescreen behind me. It was running really poor and it made me sad thinking about it. Also, the transmission started sloppily slipping the 2-3 shift and 3rd gear and OD on the highway was non existent... I couldn't go above 55MPH because all it would do after that is slip like a mfer (I checked the fluid level and it was full despite all the trans fluid on the ground?).

I called Alan at Kwik Shift Transmission about swapping in a new transmission because the current one that was in the truck, pardon my French, but it was a piece of **** since it was installed at 100k miles by some random shop in Palm Springs because the internals of the first one were scattered on the highway and we were 300+ miles from home. Alan talked us into doing the 4L65e upgrade, opposed to a 4L60e we spoke about throwing in the truck. All the upgrades that come with the 65e, at the price difference, made it a viable option for us as we were not expecting to throw a new trans in the truck. So, while the truck was awaiting the new motor we handed the truck over to Alan and he swapped in the new trans.

He called me mid way through the trans swap and let me know of the condition of the trans. I never told him about the last rebuild on the trans and he was able to figure that out real quick. He said that they forgot to install the forward gear piston seal (that's probably not the exact name, but I forgot the term he used) and that's why it always shifted like ****.

Upon taking delivery of the truck from Alan, something was NOT right. The truck felt like the diff was welded or something in the rear end was binding. I knew it was the G80, but I was hoping it wasn't toast. Not right when the engine and trans cost was about to happen... I notified Alan and he checked it out (as he also does rear ends). I received a call, and sure enough, we got lucky. Thank God it happened at the shop and not while I was on the highway.
You must be registered for see images attach

That crack carried through the entire outer casing of the spider gear. We caught it early enough that we were able to save the ring and pinion. While we were in there replacing the spider gears, Alan replaced all the seals, wheel bearings, and the passenger side axle (it was starting to wear down, didn't need replacing at that moment... but why not?). So, the only original parts left in the rear diff are: driver's side axle, and the ring and pinion gear.

Fast forward a week and I got the green light from Casey to bring the truck down to get the engine in! Dropped the truck off the night before and the next day he got to work.

(I used to block out the license plate, but I don't care anymore)
It took Casey 3 days start to finish to remove and install the new motor. Three days later, I get a call from Casey saying the truck is ready to be picked up! He went the extra step and washed the car before I took delivery of it! I don't have any recent pics of the truck (will have to get on that ASAP) but take some soon.

Here's a couple pictures of the old heart. 161k miles on it.

...and we're basically to present day at this point. Here's a couple more pictures of the truck since I got it back!

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
That’s awesome, should last you for a looooong time now. Brand new drivetrain for the most part. Did you do anything with the new motor or just keeping it factory?

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
12k for a engine swap wtf was he smoking. Glad you got her back, sounds like you got yourself a good trans guy helping you guys out.

Curt

Reaction score
That’s awesome, should last you for a looooong time now. Brand new drivetrain for the most part. Did you do anything with the new motor or just keeping it factory?
We decided to keep the motor stock to spare us any headaches. Plus, we get the GM 2yr/50k mi warranty on the motor so that's an added bonus.

12k for a engine swap wtf was he smoking. Glad you got her back, sounds like you got yourself a good trans guy helping you guys out.
Haha yeah tell me about it. Once we got the 12k quote we started freaking out. Hell, we got a whole new drivetrain (minus the front diff) for 10k :gay:

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah abt same amount I had into my burb somewhere around 12-13k for all the work but that's including the lift, tires an interior.
Let us know how the 65 is. I dnt know anyone with it so I'd like to know.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Damn, I'm super jealous now! I'd kill to have a brand new drivetrain in my truck, but I don't know if I could leave it completely stock though.
I'd at least throw on a tuned PCM and a set of headers; of course you'd probably have to deal with some sort of Cali specific part because of y'all's crazy emissions regulations right?

Curt

Reaction score
Yeah abt same amount I had into my burb somewhere around 12-13k for all the work but that's including the lift, tires an interior.
Let us know how the 65 is. I dnt know anyone with it so I'd like to know.
Will do, I’ve never heard of anyone with it either so I was curious to try it out. My transmission guy said it was the bees knees if I was looking for a direct swap and not looking to light my wallet on fire. But yeah, updates will definitely ensue once it gets some use.

Damn, I'm super jealous now! I'd kill to have a brand new drivetrain in my truck, but I don't know if I could leave it completely stock though.
I'd at least throw on a tuned PCM and a set of headers; of course you'd probably have to deal with some sort of Cali specific part because of y'all's crazy emissions regulations right?
Oh yeah, the inner child in me wanted to throw in an LS3 or at least an LQ4, but at the end of the day the main goal of the truck is turn key reliability and longevity. If I wanted to go fast, I have the C63 for that job. This truck isn’t meant to go fast, it’s meant for towing, hauling, and backroad cruisin’. Maybe if I move out of Commiefornia I’ll throw on a BBP PCM and a set of LT headers but I doubt it will happen. Once this drivetrain goes out (which won’t be for a really really long time) I’m going crazy with the build. I’m keeping this truck forever and handing it off to my kid... whenever that will be haha. Trust me when I say this won’t be the last power plant in the truck [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk