1996 Chevrolet K1500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
1996 Chevrolet K1500 Suburban LS
You must be registered for see images attach

Here are the current things done to the truck: 4" Pro Comp Lift Kit, 33x12.50x15 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM2's, Smittybilt Chrome Nerf Bars, Xenon Fender Flares, 15x10 MB Motoring Polished Aluminum Modular Wheels, Flowmaster Muffler, Leather interior, Color matched rear pillars, Kicker KS Series speakers​

Well, I guess it took me long enough to post one of these. As the title states, this is my 1996 Chevrolet K1500 Suburban. It's been in the family since 1997 and I took it over in 2012. I know, you might be thinking, How did this kid "take over" the truck when he was 12? I guess that's a fair question, but I'll get to that in a bit. I love to story tell, so I suggest you grab some popcorn and a drink before you continue to read on, haha. (I'll put the storytelling parts in spoilers so people aren't hit by a huge wall of text.)

The Backstory
Before I get into the "build" I'll give you some backstory of how we acquired this truck.

My dad bought this to replace his white '95 2 door Yukon which he absolutely HATED. Behind the 2 dr Yukon he towed his 21' ski boat, not only did that thing look ridiculous towing a 21 footer, but he said it towed horribly. So, one day my mom was waiting for my dad to come home and he didn't show up after work. She began to joke with my Grandma that he went out and bought a new truck, which she didn't think would happen because they've never made a car purchase without each other and they literally paid off the Yukon a couple days ago. Sure enough, the Suburban turns the corner, and that's where the adventure begins.

Before purchasing the suburban, my dad had been secretly shopping for one to pop up at the local dealership (He used to frequent the Courtesy Chevrolet in San Jose, now known as Momentum Chevrolet). He kept coming in and test driving used suburbans, but never found the right one. One day he test drove a used '95 suburban, but he claimed that it had a ton of electrical problems. He began to walk back to the Yukon when the salesman stopped him and said that there was a fresh trade-in suburban if my dad wanted to try it. The salesman and my dad hopped in a car and he turns the corner into the used car lot of the dealership (Back in the day this dealership was HUGE). As the salesman rolls the fence open, my dad laid his eyes on the suburban and he knew it was the one. The PO had already lifted the truck, but the leafs were sagging a good 1-2" from possibly towing a camper all of its life (that's our guess anyways). It was in a semi-sad state, being that the dealer hadn't even touched it. My dad ended up trading in the Yukon and drove home the Suburban.

Through the years, this Suburban has been to many places: Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Los Angeles, Palm Springs, etc. The memories that this truck holds are priceless. It was the first truck I ever "drove" when I was 6 yrs old (I sat on my dad's lap and steered, probably one of the main reasons I'm interested in cars and want to pursue it as a career). This truck fueled my passion as a car/truck enthusiast and I love it with all my heart.

Eventually, the 4L60E gave way and my dad replaced the 4L60E with another one (this truck's purpose was to be a people mover, tow pig, and all around workhorse). Then, the 350 Vortec, which is still currently in the truck, was starting to get worn out and couldn't perform the jobs which were thrown at it as efficiently. The truck was replaced by our new tow pig, which we acquired in 2007, a 2003 Supercharged Hummer H2 (a story for another time). The suburban got parked, and unfortunately the California sun was not kind to the truck.

The "Take Over"
After a long while, during the Suburban's sitting period, a new Government program got released which allowed people to trade in their junk cars for cash. Anyone remember the program cash for clunkers? Well, this suburban was almost a piece of that program. My mom was tired of looking at it and begged my dad and I to get rid of this truck. My older brother and sister were on board with getting rid of the truck as well. They wanted to replace it with a 2013 Suburban. Eventually my dad had to cave in and it was a 4v1. Being that I was getting up there in age and will eventually start driving, I convinced my parents to keep the truck and I'll restore the truck to its former glory. Once they agreed, I went to work during the Summer of 2012.

Here's how the truck sat in 2012 (excuse my poor photo taking skills):

So I'll be updating the thread with pics from the progress from 2012 to current, although I did lose a lot of photos due to a HDD failure in my last computer sadly. I'll be trying my best to update this as fast as I can until I work my way up to current.

Last edited:

Curt

Reaction score
Great story to go with a great looking burb!
Thanks man! I really appreciate it
________________________________________________________________________________________

Unfortunately after searching for the old pictures/progress of the truck I couldn't find any of them. From 2012-2015 the truck got a fresh paint job and an assortment of new parts to replace all the sun kissed parts on the truck. It got new headlights, taillights, marker lights, door handles, etc. Also we did some general maintenance.

In September of 2015 my Grandma had to move closer to us for medical reasons. She used to live in SF but after surgery she had to move closer to us. She lived in the same house for over 40 years and we had to move most of the stuff to her new place. The Suburban came back into action because the Hummer has a custom non removable 3rd row and has little to no trunk room. The suburban was loaded down with a ton of furniture and on the way from SF to San Ramon we had a blowout.

The tires were over 10 years old at the time but looked OK to drive on (I know, stupid mistake not replacing the tires). Luckily, it was a low pressure blowout (it was leaking air through a crack in the tire) and it didn't take the rear quarter with it. There she sat awaiting the tow truck which had the tools to change the tire.

Curt

Reaction score
After searching all across the country for 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2's, a tire shop was able to locate a set of KM2's all the way in Chicago and had them fly it over to us. (The tires which were on the truck previously were 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Wrangler MTR's.)
Here's the suburban as it awaits its new pair of shoes:

First tire mounted on the wheel waiting to be mounted on the truck:

Once the truck got the new tires on it, it was back to SF to continue the move.

Curt

Reaction score
Fast forwarding to 2016 now, I found out about the GMT400 forum and decided to give it a try. Boy am I glad I did, this fourm is great and the info within it is second to none. One of the first "mods" that I did to the truck was get rid of the horrible door buzzer. Thanks to @1500z71 I replaced the buzzer with a pleasant chime. Here's the video I made on it if you're interested. I'll also link the thread to the simple and easy swap.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Link to the thread: http://www.gmt400.com/threads/camaro-door-chime-swap.33692/
Next thing on the list was to replace the AC Blower motor (special thanks to @bluex for helping me out) which was rusting out due to the mysterious leak in the cab after it comes in contact with any sort of water source.

Curt

Reaction score
During Spring Break of 2016, I decided to reapply the fender flares onto the body. The tape holding the fenders on were giving way and it was starting to look very poor. The adhesive was sagging and the fenders were only being help on by the screws. So, off they went:

I used to think these fender flares were the OEM fender flares from Chevy but it turns out they're Xenon Fender Flares!

It took me almost the whole spring break working on the truck to remove the two sided tape nightmare. It was a pain in the a** to remove, but my dad and I finally got it off, reapplied the tape, and put the fenders back on. They look much better now.

Curt

Reaction score
In April of 2016 I passed my driving test with 0 errors. I could finally drive with no one else in the truck!

Curt

Reaction score
As beautiful as the exhaust note is, I like to listen to music sometimes as well. But, the new OEM headunit kept cutting out and I didn't know why. After poking around the truck I found out that the culprit was a blown 4x10 rear roof speaker. Long and funny story short, my dad blew them way back in '97. I replaced both of them with Kicker KSC410 4x10s. Best decision for a good budget speaker setup. Thanks to @df2x4 , @99'Subourbon , and all of the others who helped me choose.

Last edited:

Curt

Reaction score
I began to save up some money because I started to crave a leather interior. The cloth interior was in great shape but I wanted to give the truck a more luxurious look and feel. During the Summer of 2016 I began the search for a complete leather interior. I searched JYs all across the country, calling up a lot of them but none had seats in the condition I was looking for. After countless hours of looking through CL, a third row popped up in Sacramento and I jumped on it. $25 and a bit of elbow grease later I had this:

Then, I managed to find a second row in gray leather at a JY in Sacramento later on during summer. The listing on www.car-part.com didn't have pictures so I asked the gentleman who answered the phone if he could send me pictures. He came back with this

I knew I had to drive back up there and grab them ASAP. $125 and a ton of elbow grease later I ended up with this