1996 Chevrolet c3500HD CrewCab BEAST - Junkyard Rescue Take II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
I think when I get around to it I'll go with that power sliding rear window (made sure to watch it on ebay!). I'd love to have the Tundra style setup but that is probably way out of my skill range to try doing!

Glad you found that on ebay though, I didn't even know they existed!

gstubbz

Reaction score
eGay is onto me, and I didn't even look at that manual window listing. I looked at the mirrors though

You must be registered for see images attach

Funny how they use what appears to be a centurion gmt400

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Congrats on the truck!

Of course I am a little diesel obsessed, but I think a 6.5L coupled to a 6 speed Allison out of a Topkick or Kodiak to get the parking brake on the tailshaft would be the cats meow. :)

If you want to go NV4500, I just happen to have a 96+ (actually out of a 2001 HD) HD spec NV4500 sitting in Idaho. I would trade for a 92-95 HD spec NV4500, as I am one short, and IIRC there was one on Sacremento Craigslist for 750 a while back.

As far as wheels, Cali should be full of them. Alcoa even made rims for them, they look awesome, and they are hard to find, but you stand a good chance of finding them in Cali.

IIRC this bolt pattern goes older, but the bolt pattern and center hole combination has been in use since 1976, most of that time in the P chassis (motorhomes, bread trucks, etc)

Motorhomes stand the best chance of having the Alcoas.

If you cant find any, We have a couple extra sets of steels. I have yet to lay eyes or hands on a set of Alcoas.

If your plan is tow rig, you would be best sticking with your current axles and finding the proper 19.5 rims and staying as a dually. easy to find tires, excellent load capacity, etc.

Like said earlier, www.3500hd.com is a great resource. there are a few pickup box conversions over there, and they look fine with a dually bed.

gstubbz

Reaction score
they're tracking every movement. put on the foil hat.

I need my safe space damnit!

Congrats on the truck!

Of course I am a little diesel obsessed, but I think a 6.5L coupled to a 6 speed Allison out of a Topkick or Kodiak to get the parking brake on the tailshaft would be the cats meow. :)

If you want to go NV4500, I just happen to have a 96+ (actually out of a 2001 HD) HD spec NV4500 sitting in Idaho. I would trade for a 92-95 HD spec NV4500, as I am one short, and IIRC there was one on Sacremento Craigslist for 750 a while back.

As far as wheels, Cali should be full of them. Alcoa even made rims for them, they look awesome, and they are hard to find, but you stand a good chance of finding them in Cali.

IIRC this bolt pattern goes older, but the bolt pattern and center hole combination has been in use since 1976, most of that time in the P chassis (motorhomes, bread trucks, etc)

Motorhomes stand the best chance of having the Alcoas.

If you cant find any, We have a couple extra sets of steels. I have yet to lay eyes or hands on a set of Alcoas.

If your plan is tow rig, you would be best sticking with your current axles and finding the proper 19.5 rims and staying as a dually. easy to find tires, excellent load capacity, etc.

Like said earlier, www.3500hd.com is a great resource. there are a few pickup box conversions over there, and they look fine with a dually bed.

Thank you! I look forward to building this once I get around to it. My dodge broke and lost the tone ring in the engine block so I've been working on that and have to fix it before I can go tow anything. Really sucks because my 89 is nowhere near ready to be road worthy either so I've been driving my dad's 2016 Cummins Ram to work.

I like 6.5s don't get me wrong! They are just hard to come by in my area (while being stupid expensive for a truck or engine, they are like Cummins owners on craigslist) and I want to get into tuning and whatnot so I think a 454 vortec with a 411 pcm would let me get into the modifying game and allow me to get nutty with fuel and turbos.

I actually saw that same NV4500 on the Sac craigslist a while back, and my first thought when I saw it was that it was from a 3500HD due to the parking brake! I just took a quick gander at CL and all I could find were nv4500s for cummins trucks so I don't think I'll come across one anytime soon. I guess the 4L80e will suffice for the meantime!!

And I've been thinking of motorhomes, a friend brought up that they had 10 lug wheels which got me thinking. Once it comes closer to getting this HD road worthy I'll go hunting for some Alcoas if I can actually find a set!

I agree, the more I think about it I should just stay with the 10 lug setup and run 19.5" rims with some flavor of highway tread tires since I have no intention of taking this thing offroad and keeping it strictly as a highway hauler.

I also just signed up on the 3500HD site a few weeks back and have been reading through some of the build threads over there. Helpful advice for sure!!

And thank you for the input, I appreciate it :)

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any GM chassis motorhome will have the same pattern, so if you see a motorhome part out, see what motor it has, and assume it could have alcoas and go check it out. :) If you find more than one set of Alcoas, keep me in mind! I get out to Cali at least once and year, and not terribly far from you either, I almost allways take I80 in over Donner.

Same goes if you find something you need for the HD that is out here, for a little fuel money I can try and get it to ya.

gstubbz

Reaction score
Any updates on the chevy or still gotta fix the dodge

I've been busy! Family stuff, girlfriend family stuff, work, just not enough time sadly! I fixed my Dodge which took three weeks, spent two weeks on the engine and waiting on parts, then the last week was trying to figure out why the thing kept misfiring (pushrod popped out), had to yank the hemi which took seven hours, tore it down, and all the bearings were within factory specs on an engine with 157k on it which was impressive. The crosshatching was in amazing shape too! Ended up cracking two pistons so I replaced all eight pistons and rings, along with a few other things while I was at it. I was extremely lucky finding the tone ring, it was listed on ebay 12 hours prior to me buying it, came from a wrecked 2008 hemi for $50 shipped. Nobody else has this part and if I didn't get lucky I would have been buying a new crank!

I was over at the junkyard for a bit two weeks ago but I still have yet to go rescue this thing. I will hopefully within the next two months, I have a few other things I need to finish fixing on my Dodge and fix my diy dovetail trailer before I can go get this thing.

But here are some pics of the hemi deal if anyone is interested!

Took another 7 hours to get back in the truck. All running good now! Have an oil leak from a valve cover gasket that ripped, just got the new gaskets so I'll get that fixed here within the next few days.

Last edited: