1996 Chevrolet c3500HD CrewCab BEAST - Junkyard Rescue Take II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
That bill is so lame. I'm still freaking over it, and as far as junkyard stuff goes we need a new rollback with a "gas" engine and what I mean is we buy a 90s TopKick and yank the 366 out and put in a cummins or whatever. After the initial inspection they have never messed with tow trucks nor do we stop at the CHP DOT inspection place. Lame that we have to buy a new truck but that's a possibility. Looks like CARB is not ******* with gas trucks in the same GVWR range. I'm pretty sure anything over 14k GVWR gas or diesel is smog exempt.

And we have a 90ish F350 wrecker with a 460, needs a new engine so it looks like it will get one, or a diesel after we "smog" it since it's a 10k GVWR. We also are going to start working on a 93 K3500 RC chassis cab dually that had a 6.2, installing a 6.5, and making it another tow truck because it is still smog exempt since it's also a 10 or 11k GVWR.

As far as my HD, once the vin clears in the system at work I will take the acquisition number to DMV and see if I can even register it here. Another thing that is interesting that I was only aware of as of yesterday because my boss is fighting DMV and CHP over this. This guy bought a cummins truck 7 years ago and did nothing with it, and two days ago tried to register it and the CA DMV told them it's not allowed on the road ever again because it was a "junked" diesel-powered vehicle. So that may be the same case with mine and if that's the situation I'm put in, **** it I'm registering it at my bosses other yard up in Cornelius, OR then registration would be super cheap for two years.

Sad to think that the two trucks on the right will be illegal to run in 2020 (with CA plates anyway). BTW, big tow job today for the county so this is all the **** we pulled out. I got lucky and drove the chevy :) Only thing cool is that 65ish F350 truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

SOOOOOO my cummins block. I haven't heard anything from this guy all week, I'll be calling tomorrow to see. He is a bit sketch, I explained it in a novel to @GarrettGmc in text messages the other day and maybe I'll tell everyone else here the story of this guy. Put it short, he's ****** people over. We will see what happens shortly...

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wonder if lassen will be exempt from that bill, since its already smog exempt. Does the hd have a junked title? Or just back fees or non opp

gstubbz

Reaction score
I just read that VC 4000.15 was never approved?? I'm lost. HD will have a salvage title since we cleared the fees since it sat since 2007. Doesn't bug me though because I'll probably never sell it so it's okay.

From what I know with salvage vehicle they can be re-registered with a CHP inspection, brake and lamp, and a smog if it needs it. CHP loves me enough I've got two speeding tickets within the last two weeks from them. ********. But I don't know about junked title vehicles.

But anyway, tomorrow I'm calling the guy's personal cell about my cummins engine, I should have done it earlier but I've been so damn busy at the junkyard!! If we get that red truck, I decided it will be a company junkyard truck for hauling stuff (in other words my new personal truck) and if the engine really is bad we just picked up a 99 k2500 454 suburban on a county tow and that thing runs mint, so we have an engine now!

gstubbz

Reaction score
No ****. Talked to him today, guess he is punching in the sleeve today. But I agree this should have been done earlier.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn just today? He got the new pistons quick enough. Yea I'd keep him an speed dial till u get that motor, sketchy.

gstubbz

Reaction score
I've got an update! Finally!!!!!

Made a trip today in the not so greatest conditions, but paid the remainder $600 I owed on this thing. It came out spectacular and I'm glad to have it back after a month of waiting. These are the pictures I took before I oiled it all down and tarped it because it started raining and I didn't want this thing to rust out after I spent a shitton on it. I'll take some more tomorrow when I get it unloaded in the shop.

I'm just glad to have it. Now the fun stuff begins! I need to order head bolts and find a P-Pump. So I have that burning in the back of my mind. But I did get the rebuild kit with all the gaskets, rings, bearings, pistons and whatever else.

Also, it's an International block, I guess I didn't see it because it was covered in oil before they hot tanked it. It is literally so difficult to tell that the block was actually sleeved, but it's also bored 20 over.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea ****** weather and it's supposed to snow agian tonight. I thought he was installing all the new parts?

gstubbz

Reaction score
Nah, but at least he labeled the pistons and tapped all of the head bolts. Cam bearing was also installed by the guy too.

But here is the fancy **** I love looking at that I really didn't look at in detail yesterday.

.100 Fly Cut Pistons!!! Everyone is asking me on this FB group what color I'll paint it and if I'll run compounds. I'm thinking Cummins tan or Caterpillar Yellow with black valve covers/accessories. As far as compounds, not yet just going to run a single turbo for now but I'd love to do twins in the future.

I'm happy to see most of the things in that FelPro kit are made in the USA. I was happy to see that! My block is also a USA block but I need to look at the head and see what that says. I really wanted to start working on it today, but by the time I unloaded it napa had already closed so I couldn't buy any assembly lube to start on this thing. I also need to buy a bolt set for this thing since most of them are missing or bent from me lifting the block up with a chain from them. Tomorrow I should get a little farther!