1996 Chevrolet c3500HD CrewCab BEAST - Junkyard Rescue Take II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
I've got an update!!

Had to drop off a 4.7 **** Dodge head at the machine shop today with my boss, and talked to the guy about my Cummins, he told me $847 is what I will owe him when he's done. At first I was freaking out until he told me what that includes...

Clevite Mahle 0.5mm Overbore Pistons that are Fly Cut (if I ever go with a bigger cam) for the valves
Piston Wrist Pins and clips
Piston Rings
STD Connecting Rod and Crankshaft Bearings
Cam Bearings
Full Gasket kit
(and probably more that I forgot)

And that's it. So pretty much what a rebuild kit would run me but with much better pistons. So that $847 is essentially a rebuild kit and the $335 I gave earlier was for the hot tank, deck, sleeve, bore to 0.5mm over, and the pressure test. Paying the guy tomorrow the remainder of what I'm owing him while also picking up the 4.7 head that was dropped off today, and picking up my cummins hopefully next week.

I'll be $1,182 into the block so far but looking good from what I started with. At first I was thinking it probably would have been better to just buy a Cummins with 250k on the clock, but at least this route I know everything will be new internally. My opinion on this build is changing!!

But here is a sexy piston soon to be in my engine! It's beautiful.

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Dude $1182 for a functioning Cummins is dirt cheap. The question is how many other nickels and dimes will it take to make it whole?

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I never understood those guys who would rip a high-mileage Cummins out of a truck, and just swap it in to another truck without taking it to a machine shop, cleaning and hot tanking everything, honing and boring everything back to spec, and then reassembling with fresh gaskets and whatnot.

This thing is gonna be sweet once you get it all together!

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Because unless they have a gaping hole in a sleeve there is no need. . .

I guess it's just me then, I'd want to freshen everything up before a swap.

Have you figured out the transmission situation Gavin? I can't remember if you posted what you were going to do.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Do a few swaps, you'll be over it. I'll ask you this: if you wrecked your 2500 tomorrow, would you feel the need to rebuild the 454 and 4L80 before dumping it into something else?

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Honestly, if a Cummins sounded good and ran good before being pulled and it had less than 300k on the clock, I wouldn't touch it. I was driving one the other day that has 760k on it and only ever had head gaskets done at 650k. They're near indestructible if you do your maintenance.

DirtBag

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those prices seem really reasonable! I can t wait to see this thing come back to life.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Thanks guys!!

The KDP was never fixed when I looked at the front case cover but I will do it when I reassemble this. I still have many things to buy like an oil pump, water pump, stuff like that so my $1,200 number is not even close to what I'll probably be in it.

Had the engine been okay with no cracked cylinder wall or the line down the bore I probably would have just threw new bearings and rings in and called it good along with the block deck. Would have been much cheaper that way!

For transmission options, I'm pretty set on a ZF6 or a ZF5 unless I can get a nv5600/4500 on the cheap for the meantime. A guy was selling a G56 from a 2008 for $3,000 which I wasn't going to spend. I have access to a zf6 2wd trans from a early 2000s 7.3 F550 I'll probably end up using. This trans has 19k original miles, the truck burned to the ground a few years after it was new and this trans has been sitting since then. I like the fact the Ford ZF6 has an internal cooler where the Chevy ZF6 doesn't. I'll be making an adapter plate with 3/8" aluminum because I'm not planning on spending $750 for one when I have the tools to make one!

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk Pro