1996 Chevrolet c3500HD CrewCab BEAST - Junkyard Rescue Take II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Damn, I need a new Esky cluster. Mine's messed up somehow and the odometer stopped spinning;

If you weren't on the other side of the country I'd hunt up a set of 3500HD rims currently sitting in a salvage yard not too far from me; I could probably ask about them next time I'm up there if you'd like, shipping might be a headache though.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Odometer is separate from cluster.

I know; but I read somewhere that there could be something in the cluster itself that would cause the odometer to stop spinning. I need to tear my dash apart and pull the damn thing out and again to see what the deal is; hopefully it just came unhooked or something from the last time I had it apart.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, just electrical if that's the case. But I'm probably overstating the obvious here esp if you did the swap yourself.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Do you know which company did the crew cab conversion on you truck? Mines a Jerry Adams Enterprises conversion and I haven't been able to find out anything numbers wise on how many they made. I've heard it was only around 600ish trucks that they did this to....

Where did you find that company out of curiosity? From what I found out it has the RPO code WHV which is "HANDLING CHARGE - GMTG TO JANESVILLE VEHICLE MODIFICATION CENTER" although the VIN pulls up a 135.5" wheelbase when it is really 163.5" with the crew cab mounted. From what I could tell mine was manufactured as a regular cab like every other one. I wish I knew more info! No RPO codes indicated that it was ever a true 4 door truck. Whenever I get around to this I do plan to pull the cab off the frame so I can paint it, and at that point maybe I can see if the frame was extended under the cab. From what I could tell is that it's a true crew cab body and wasn't half ass spliced from a regular cab.

Damn, I need a new Esky cluster. Mine's messed up somehow and the odometer stopped spinning;

If you weren't on the other side of the country I'd hunt up a set of 3500HD rims currently sitting in a salvage yard not too far from me; I could probably ask about them next time I'm up there if you'd like, shipping might be a headache though.

Hopefully the cluster works! I find it cool how they light up blue and the needles are a little different. And with the odo on this one being over 300k, I don't know if it stopped working or if it really did die at 300k!

Sucks being over in Cali, I swear all over facebook on the east side these 3500HDs pop up for parts all the time, it's just not in me to spend a bunch on junky rims then have them shipped at 52lbs a piece!

gstubbz

Reaction score
I found this on the 3500HD forum this evening, so I guess Mexico got them after 02 and they got them up to 2006, can't find anything for 2007 models. Looks like they got the 8.1/5spd. Also looks like it has the 88-94 window handles and a bench seat from a Topkick/Kodiak. Really weird but Mexican vehicles are weird. So is the GMC grille with a Chevy emblem on the front. I was just talking to my friend Joe about it, and he said he remembers seeing that grille when he was in Mexico going wtf is that?

https://listado.mercadolibre.com.mx/chevrolet-3500-hd-2006#D[A:chevrolet-3500-hd-2006]

Also, I was able to find 2008 Kodiaks with the same GMT400 cab using the same website. They had CAT diesels. If you're curious, you can also look up Ram Chargers and the Ram 6500 to see how Mexico ruined 2nd gen rams lol

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ever get a chance to get ahold of that guy over here? Also those ram 6500 down in Mex are weird looking

gstubbz

Reaction score
I called and left voicemails with both numbers. I'll try again tomorrow if they don't call me back. I was looking at the photos some more and even if I had money to buy it I'd need a semi to haul it because they are so long. That'll be solved in a few years when I have this truck going and a long ass gooseneck trailer lol

gstubbz

Reaction score
20 feet. I have to put some time into it and reinforce it before I go hauling anything heavy though, it's okay for half tons and smaller but that's it