1996 Chevrolet c3500HD CrewCab BEAST - Junkyard Rescue Take II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sure y'all already know this, but to just to clarify the Topkick/Kodiak were the same GMT400 cab, available with the Cat diesel. They just got that big fiberglass tilt hood (and of course totally different frame yet again, way bigger than the 3500HD, as the Topkick/Kodiak were actual medium duty trucks) for engine clearance and service accessibility.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I'm sure y'all already know this, but to just to clarify the Topkick/Kodiak were the same GMT400 cab, available with the Cat diesel. They just got that big fiberglass tilt hood (and of course totally different frame yet again, way bigger than the 3500HD, as the Topkick/Kodiak were actual medium duty trucks) for engine clearance and service accessibility.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
Noteworthy to mention, they did have a sort of access panel that was removable at the front of the trans tunnel. I'm not totally sure if the trans tunnel/floor pans were the same or not.

Also, there was a variant with a raised center roof (I call it a bubble cab).

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, hadn't seen the access panel you speak of but I've definitely seen the bubble roof. I haven't looked at one closely but I think it's similar to cutaway van conversions; they chop the roof panel and attach a fiberglass piece.

Richard

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
I've seen the bubble top and definitely wouldn't recommend that. Weird

... unless it offered more headroom?

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
Drive pressure is what needs monitored as well as boost pressure.

I am certain that if you took a HX40, A-Team Turbo, and a GM-x turbo, and had enough fuel for each one to push 13 PSI, the drive pressure would be drastically lower on the ATT and the HX. So while high boost is a factor of popped HGs, drive pressure is another factor.

IIRC @tanman_2006 is running alot more than 13 PSI on his 93 with the ATT and its still alive (engine at least, he is quite hard on NV4500s. :) )
I would put a different turbo on a 6.5 just for sound when it's straight piped but I would not do nothing to a 6.5 not even drive it until I know the the pullies are good they have week cranks. If you were to put a liquid filled dampener on a 6.5 TD and all the rest of the pullies were good I'm sure will need head studds you could definitely get away with more boost I wouldn't push the limits they had higher compersion then modern diesels that take lots of boost.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
I still feel bad for not getting this truck yet. I've been pushing it back, but I have a number to a guy with 3500hd parts so hopefully he will have them. I'll call him tomorrow. Three hour drive just for some rims! I want to get started on this damn thing