1996 Chevrolet c3500HD CrewCab BEAST - Junkyard Rescue Take II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Still no real update on this thing, tied up with other trucks. I'll get rims eventually sorry to keep everyone on hold with this project!

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
I won't be the one to steer you away from doing a 6.2, 6.5 or a big block build for this thing. But keep in mind that these trucks, and I use this term loosely as I mean c6500, c7500 stuff (the cab, in a 88-94 early version style) came wired and built with 3126 Cat motors.

7.2l diesel that hit the sweet spot between crap 3116 motors and crap electric egr smogged C7's

Unless you don't like the idea of 300hp and 860lb-ft of torque...and who doesn't? Am I right??

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you put a turbo on there, push more than 13 psi and then let me know how the head gaskets are doing.
Not disagreeing with you. It is like any other well planned upgrade. The stock turbo has emphysema. To fix this you need to upgrade the head bolts to head studs. Ideally the head gaskets should be replaced as well. Also needed are a pyrometer and boost gauge.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
I won't be the one to steer you away from doing a 6.2, 6.5 or a big block build for this thing. But keep in mind that these trucks, and I use this term loosely as I mean c6500, c7500 stuff (the cab, in a 88-94 early version style) came wired and built with 3126 Cat motors.

7.2l diesel that hit the sweet spot between crap 3116 motors and crap electric egr smogged C7's

Unless you don't like the idea of 300hp and 860lb-ft of torque...and who doesn't? Am I right??

I've been thinking that! Tyler told me to get a CAT 3116 but I want the 3126. Would be pretty sweet in that thing and I couldn't imagine it having any problems towing whatever it is that I please!

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

You would be correct on the C6500-C8500 with this cab, but the C3500HD (which this one is) is basically a pickup cab on a different frame. It has alot more in common with the pickups (both cab and powertrain) than it does with the C6500+

So basically, never wired nor built for I6 Cat power.

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you put a turbo on there, push more than 13 psi and then let me know how the head gaskets are doing.

Drive pressure is what needs monitored as well as boost pressure.

I am certain that if you took a HX40, A-Team Turbo, and a GM-x turbo, and had enough fuel for each one to push 13 PSI, the drive pressure would be drastically lower on the ATT and the HX. So while high boost is a factor of popped HGs, drive pressure is another factor.

IIRC @tanman_2006 is running alot more than 13 PSI on his 93 with the ATT and its still alive (engine at least, he is quite hard on NV4500s. :) )

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
You're right the 3500hd was not wired for a 3126 as that was not offered. My point was that the 4500 and up cab should be close enough that a 3126 wire harness should fall right into a standard issue cab.

... mostly

Sorry if that wasn't clear from the start

Last edited: