1996 C3500 Crew Cab Dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RatPwrd72

Reaction score
I've always had a soft spot for these trucks and have owned several 1/2 tons over the past 15 years. The last was a '97 extended cab LT that I bought cheap and regretfully sold for a decent profit. I bought a 2007 Dodge Mega Cab new and put 100k miles on it in 10 years. The value of the Dodge trucks with a 5.9 cummins is ridiculous, so I sold it for what I paid for it new, 10 years later. Which brings me to the dually. Found it at a small shop where the guy had some work done and was looking to sell it. Obviously it's 20 years old and needs some attention.

Here it is sitting at the shop where I bought it.

You must be registered for see images attach

RatPwrd72

Reaction score
I had a few criteria for what I wanted. Had to be 2 wheel drive, I preferred the 454 and wanted Gray interior. This truck met 2 out of 3, but had some goodies already installed that I planned on doing anyway. The steel cowl hood and steel roll pan had just been installed. I would have done the hood later on down the road, not sure I would've sprung for the roll pan. The truck will tow my drag truck quite a bit, at least it has a decent receiver hitch on it.

I also wanted to lower one a little bit and this one was just done. It has 3" drop spindles up front and shackles/hangers in the rear for a 4" drop. Rides great, but I think it could use new shocks.

Here's what it looks like from the front after getting it home and a quick wash.

RatPwrd72

Reaction score
The truck showed 169K miles on the odometer and the PO had a book full of receipts that he gave to me. Story goes that the original engine lost oil pressure at 163k and he had a reman long block installed. Runs great, makes good oil pressure and is quiet. One of the most noticeable things right away is a cheap Sunpro water temp gauge hanging from the bottom of the dash. The PO's mechanic insisted the factory gauges are junk and can't be trusted. First order of business was to install an Ac-Delco sending unit in the driver's side head. $14 and the factory gauge works like a champ.

This is the only interior shot I took when I looked at it. If you look close you can see the water temp gauge hanging from the dash.

RatPwrd72

Reaction score
Next order of business was to replace the yellow and faded factory lights up front. I picked up a pair of OEM style headlight assembly's from RockAuto for $14 each and a set of clear park lamps for $28. I used the Sylvania bulbs that came with the headlamp assembly's and while not LED bright, they're much better. The park lamps got new amber bulbs and I also replaced the marker light bulbs up front and in the rear fenders.

Also swapped the faded out factory bowtie for a sport version I picked up on ebay.

Before:

RatPwrd72

Reaction score
The truck has a brand new set of tires mounted up on stock wheels with stainless simulators which need to go. I've always wanted a set of Alcoa aluminum wheels so the searching starts. After calling and emailing several vendors including Alcoa, I figure out that they've discontinued the 16" version of these in 8x165. I really didn't want to go Eagle Alloy or ION and a more modern design like Rockstar would never be an option.

After becoming obsessed with several forums and for sale groups, a set popped up.

Wheels are bought and delivered to the house, just need center caps and lugs. Those are ordered from Southwest Wheel and should be arriving anytime.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always had a soft spot for these trucks and have owned several 1/2 tons over the past 15 years. The last was a '97 extended cab LT that I bought cheap and regretfully sold for a decent profit. I bought a 2007 Dodge Mega Cab new and put 100k miles on it in 10 years. The value of the Dodge trucks with a 5.9 cummins is ridiculous, so I sold it for what I paid for it new, 10 years later. Which brings me to the dually. Found it at a small shop where the guy had some work done and was looking to sell it. Obviously it's 20 years old and needs some attention.

Here it is sitting at the shop where I bought it.

Really good find.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Super clean! Hope i can find a clean dually somewhere.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk