1996 C1500 5.7 Bleeding the brakes - Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OBS Oregon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pain in the asp, on my Nova. But the problems I had there are not likely to be something that affects a GMT400. (Mostly, but not entirely because the friggin' aftermarket spring pair I bought were made incorrectly.)

Buy new U-bolts. Consider replacing the other spring and it's U-bolts at the same time. That spring has been down the same roads as the broken one. That way you don't have mis-matched rear springs--one new, one old. If you're installing "used" springs from a Treasure Yard, consider fresh bushings at each end.

U-bolt ends from an axle-swap on my '88 K1500 compared to new replacement:
You must be registered for see images attach
Got new U bolts and bushings. The replacement leaf springs came from a local treasure yard. Both in good shape.

Reaction score
On a abs brake job the bleeders should be opened and the calipre turned upside down to push the piston back into it's bore.This stops any old rusty contaminated fluid from going into the abs unit.A"automated bleed must be performed using a factory type or equivelant scan tool to cycle the abs pistons.Sometime this can be also done by going out a performing some abs stops.It usually does not work though.If the instructions are followed on the scanner,it will also tell you to do a "normal bleed procedure".